From Mish-mash To Mosaic

Guest danax

Guest danax

A New York writer recently wrote how he was surprised to discover our town as more interesting than he had anticipated and full of little sections of color and interest. It is an adventure to drive around and enter into different neighborhoods and districts and open one's eyes to the varying scenes. It takes a long time to finally be able to piece them together into some whole.

One spot that I love is that short section of W. Gray between Shepherd and Woodhead. The black, white and silver Art Deco theme is just perfect. I don't know how many of those buildings are vintage but that Krogers has got to be one of the most beautiful supermarkets I've seen, as far as the facade anyway.

Anyone else have any favorite sections of town?

There are too many to list in detail.

I enjoy The Menil/Rothko Chapel/St. Thomas area, lower Westheimer/Montrose, the Theatre District, the Museum District-Hermann Park, Highland Village, Heights Blvd to 20th Street shops, Post Oak from W Loop to Richmond, Rice Village, The View of downtown from the patio/garden area of the downtown post office, Fish Plaza, etc.

I know this sounds odd, but I really like Sharpstown at night from 59. Also, Heights Blvd, and the East Side, especially around the ship channel. I ride around there on bike a good bit. There's so many great old industrial buildings, and neighborhoods that a lot of people never even see.