Would This Be A Good Idea For Houston?

Ok, I saw a picture of a structure in Miami and thought it would be a nice concept for a restaurant in Houston, possibly in Uptown or Downtown. There would be a typical styled restaurant, however it would have a 40 story "attachment" to the left or right of it. This attachment would be cylindrical in shape with a semi-panoramic view and possible balconies. Each individual floor would be it's own romantic dinning room, or meeting room, or private party space, and would only be accessible through reservations only and for a fee. The structure could sit on 3 or 4 stories of a valet parking garage, so every floor could have a view. Each floor could have a computerized key, which will only allow the elevator to stop on the floor they have been assigned. Four elevators could sit along the back side of the structure (2 for guests and 2 for waitstaff) for easy access.

I thought this would be great for the upcoming Ravina Project on Post Oak in Uptown. What do you guys think?

Anyway, here are the pictures of a similar styled cylindrical structure in Miami that made me wonder if such a idea would work in Houston.

*note- By the way, I chose 40 stories because I figured if the hideous Mercer condo towers can be 40 stories, why not a restaurant? :)

46cm.jpg

46i.jpg

Photos courtesy of ablarc of SSP.

Well, I didn't say the views would be as interesting as Miami but possibly the views would be interesting enough to warrant some to want to have dinner or a company party or meeting from that height. Of course the views would be at their best at night, but I personally think Houston can appear quite interesting from certain vantage points at elevated heights during the day.

I think it could possibly work. I think of the tons of companies that have their annual Christmas parties in restaurants, and those once or twice a year trips to Mark's on Westheimer for that birthday or anniversary. Why not have your own personal space with great food and service (of course with your choice of soft music if requested, and lounge furniture in addition to a nice set dinner table). The view would be an added attraction. Since there aren't any mountains or hills here, many Houstonians don't get a opportunity to see the city from high locations. This would be another way to do that. Besides, would the view from Downtown or Uptown across the city really be that much worse than the view from Reunion Tower in Dallas, which is quite popular?

This was just something that popped in my head after seeing that building. I just thought it would be a unique restaurant experience in Houston.

Kjb434- I stand corrected.

Urbanerd- We could just make it "Houston" enough. It doesn't have to look exactly like the building in the picture. It could be on the same style but "Houstonized". :)

Urbanerd- We could just make it "Houston" enough. It doesn't have to look exactly like the building in the picture. It could be on the same style but "Houstonized". :)

Yeah..with a few special changes..to Houstonize it. I aplogize for my knee-jerk reflex...caused by other proposals like such by citykid. :lol:

Anyway, as for the "views", this would actually work pretty well in any of the main areas around the city (Midtown, Uptown, Greenway, etc).

Archived