Real FARMERS' Markets in the Houston Area?

I know all about Caninos, and even about Bayou City Farmers' Market and all the other places where yuppies can choice from limited selections and small quantities of organic vegetables, but large collections of handmade soaps (I'm not dogging those places, I'm glad we have them), but I grew up in the Klein area in the 80s, and fondly remember going to places like Theiss Farms and Strack Farms - open air sheds on the edge of a farmer's property where he sold the produce he had grown in the field just behind the shed. I know the Strack family stopped farming and focuses just on the restaurant these days, but I believe that Theiss Farms is still open. I'm looking for a place like these, but hopefully closer to the west side of town, as I live in the Memorial area just outside of the beltway. I'm even up to driving as far west as some place like Fulshear. Anyone know of any places like this?

There's a place off highway 36 just a little north of 90 in Richmond/Rosenberg. Family farm who open their stand in summer. My folks buy stuff there-- peas, okra, eggplant, squashes, greens. I can't remember if they have fruit or not. Will re-post if I can dig up the name.

There's a place off highway 36 just a little north of 90 in Richmond/Rosenberg. Family farm who open their stand in summer. My folks buy stuff there-- peas, okra, eggplant, squashes, greens. I can't remember if they have fruit or not. Will re-post if I can dig up the name.

Wow, thanks, even without the name, it gives me a lot to go on, might be fun searching for it on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Have you gone to the open air markets behind Canino's? It has grown much larger and goes deeply back on the lot, not just the part attached to the Canino's building and it is all produce. I also hear there is a nice one in Pearland, but I have no idea where it is.

Have you gone to the open air markets behind Canino's? It has grown much larger and goes deeply back on the lot, not just the part attached to the Canino's building and it is all produce.

Yes, I go there all the time. I am also especially fond of a particular taco truck there which sells tacos de mollejas (sweetbread tacos) which are out of this world. Caninos and the area behind it are great, but not quite what I am looking for in this situation. It's not quite the rural setting I am looking for, and most of the people selling produce there, including the independent merchants in the stalls behind Caninos and in the back parking lot, did not grow it themselves - often it was grown in California or Mexico and they bought it in bulk to sell there. I really am looking for a family farm that sells produce right on the land where it was grown.

Edited by Reefmonkey

Yes, I go there all the time. I am also especially fond of a particular taco truck there which sells tacos de mollejas (sweetbread tacos) which are out of this world.

#2 Taqueria Tacambaroimg_1777.jpg

2520 Airline Drive (Behind Canino's)

What to get: Tacos de mollejas and tripitas (sweetbreads and tripe) are awesome. If you don't like offal, try the spicy pork al pastor, crisped up in a frying pan and served with raw onion and cilantro, and the awesome gordita, made with a thick masa cake split in half, then stuffed with homemade refried beans and Mexican cheese. Don't miss the roasted jalape

#2 Taqueria Tacambaroimg_1777.jpg

2520 Airline Drive (Behind Canino's)

What to get: Tacos de mollejas and tripitas (sweetbreads and tripe) are awesome. If you don't like offal, try the spicy pork al pastor, crisped up in a frying pan and served with raw onion and cilantro, and the awesome gordita, made with a thick masa cake split in half, then stuffed with homemade refried beans and Mexican cheese. Don't miss the roasted jalape

Froberg's outside of Alvin is operated by the Froberg family at their farm. It's easy to get to with plenty of parking. It's on the old highway next to the BNSF tracks between Manvel and Alvin.

There is also a small farm outside of Dickinson were you can pick your own vegetables. This place is just off of SH 146 north of the Dickson Bayou bridge.

Froberg's outside of Alvin is operated by the Froberg family at their farm. It's easy to get to with plenty of parking. It's on the old highway next to the BNSF tracks between Manvel and Alvin.

There is also a small farm outside of Dickinson were you can pick your own vegetables. This place is just off of SH 146 north of the Dickson Bayou bridge.

Thanks, I'll give it a try! Now that you mention it, I think I may have passed it when I got lost looking for Twin Lakes Scuba Park for my rescue certification last year.

Wow, thanks, even without the name, it gives me a lot to go on, might be fun searching for it on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

The name of the place on 36 is Pavlok's. Phone number is 281-633-2459, so you can call for directions and to find out what they have harvested.

There is Froberg's in Manvel/Alvin. It's the only one I've ever been to so I don't know how it rates. But they have virtually all vegetables. You get a discount for picking your purchase directly from the farm. The BBQ is simply good. The address is 11875 County Road 190 Alvin, Texas. Hope you're willing to drive that far.

There is Froberg's in Manvel/Alvin. It's the only one I've ever been to so I don't know how it rates. But they have virtually all vegetables. You get a discount for picking your purchase directly from the farm. The BBQ is simply good. The address is 11875 County Road 190 Alvin, Texas. Hope you're willing to drive that far.

A little bit of a drive, out in the country, fresh local produce, and good barbecue? Sounds like the makings of an ideal Saturday excursion!

Don't go to Froberg's expecting an old-time East Texas Farmer's Market. Don't get me wrong - I like Froberg's but they usually only have a few items that are local. The most local being the strawberries that they grow on-site. The majority of the rest of the produce is typical stuff from california, chile, mexico etc. that you would find at a normal grocery store.

That said, it is still worth the trip and (as coolbuddy said) the little bbq place next door is pretty good.

Don't go to Froberg's expecting an old-time East Texas Farmer's Market. Don't get me wrong - I like Froberg's but they usually only have a few items that are local. The most local being the strawberries that they grow on-site. The majority of the rest of the produce is typical stuff from california, chile, mexico etc. that you would find at a normal grocery store.

That said, it is still worth the trip and (as coolbuddy said) the little bbq place next door is pretty good.

Yes this is correct. Less than 25% of what frobergs sells is produce they actually grow. They list on the price signs what is locally grown. The best time to go is during strawberry season, you can pick your own strawberries from a very large field for a very low price, I can't remember what the price is.

They also have some homemade pies you can buy and homemade mini fried pies.

For the most part, Frobergs is a mini-Caninos. Frobergs also sells nuts/grain in the bags, just the same as Caninos.

I lived in Clear Lake and it was a 30 minute drive from there so I'm sure what I saved in food costs was partially offset by gas costs, but I enjoyed it as an occasion weekend excursion as Frobergs is out on the 'country'.