Granite Countertop Installation

most of the cheap pre-fab are "seconds" They are seconds for varying reasons (e.g. scratches, natural veins, mispolishing, bow).

You're going to apply the same scrutiny to a full slab of granite vs. these pre-fabs, at least I do. That is, you have to look at what you're buying and stay away from defects/natural artifacts that you don't like. This is not an item you should order on the internet.

Just curious, Bryan. Did you get any quotes before doing it yourself? I only ask because I have seen numbers close to yours for simple jobs like that. Clearly, using Lowes or Home Depot will get you ripped off, but if one uses a good sub, granite prices can easily get into the mid-20s to low 30s range. Only the complex countertops or very pricey granite should reach the 40s, and frankly, nothing should hit the 50s.

I've been quoted $150/sf for concrete countertops. OUCH!

Im in same boat. 1955 house. Flooded last month, redoing pretty much everything. Down to countertops in Kitchen and Bathrooms. Got custom cabinets built already. Cant decide on where to go from here. Budget is a bit tight after long list of projects. Is ceramic tile totally out these days? Granite tiles even worth it to save money over slabs? I presume the recycled option is rather expensive?

Right now the kitchen floor tiles are somewhat off white. Other than that I am trying to come up with a cool color scheme. I do have a wood panel dining area connected to kitchen painted all white currently. Do I go dark stained cabinets? Dark countertops? Guess thats more of a personal preference.... I just suck at it.

I am also looking into tin as a possible backsplash option as well. Anyone hip to this? http://www.americantinceilings.com/backspl...CFQ_yDAode0s-Bw

Archived