Westminster Dollar 8 Theater At 12121 Westheimer Rd.

avexhype

The Luby's is still there, and now there is a Pappadeux restaurant in the same parking lot that use to be a DENIS seafood place. How its changed. There is also a new phoenicia foods store there. I use to go there around 1997-2000. I remember watching Mortal Kombat Annihilation there. So Lately I have been going there and just standing in front of the box office, the numbers are still there and the doors still have letters on them. You can see spiderwebs from the outside that are on the inside of the doors. I think now its a storage place because I saw some people walking in there so I walked in there too for about 20 seconds and saw the big screen and lots of building materials there. Maybe next time Ill bribe the guy so he can let me all the way in.

<h3 class="r">

</h3>

The Luby's is still there, and now there is a Pappadeux restaurant in the same parking lot that use to be a DENIS seafood place. How its changed. There is also a new phoenicia foods store there. I use to go there around 1997-2000. I remember watching Mortal Kombat Annihilation there. So Lately I have been going there and just standing in front of the box office, the numbers are still there and the doors still have letters on them. You can see spiderwebs from the outside that are on the inside of the doors. I think now its a storage place because I saw some people walking in there so I walked in there too for about 20 seconds and saw the big screen and lots of building materials there. Maybe next time Ill bribe the guy so he can let me all the way in.

<h3 class="r">

</h3>

This would have been Windchime cinema back in the 80's. (??)

If it's where I'm thinking of, it was at the corner of Synott in the shoping center. I remember going on a couple of dates there.

I used to go to this place quite a bit, but in earlier years than you. I did go back once to see The Matrix, I think, so that would have been more in your time frame. The two dollar theaters we went to often were Westminster and Briargrove. We ended up at Westminster a lot more since it had more screens(choices).

<h3 class="r">

</h3>

I saw a few movies there before they shut down ('99-00?). After that I started going to the one on synott and westheimer. It's been a while, but I recall seeing the same people behind the counter at the windchime on synott that were at the dollar 8 so I assume they bought the windchime. It's a bit more visable from the road than the dollar 8 was (and maybe larger, too).

I had some friends that worked at Windchimes in the late 90s, and got to see a few movies for free from the projection booth, which didn't have 20 years worth of spilled soft drinks making the floor ultra sticky.

And in the mid/late 80s to the early 90s I would go there with my scout group once a month to see movies.

BeetleJuice is one classic I remember seeing there, as well as The Last Dragon.

Good memories, not sure if that place is historic, other than it is an empty husk of a small movie theater.

I saw a few movies there before they shut down ('99-00?). After that I started going to the one on synott and westheimer. It's been a while, but I recall seeing the same people behind the counter at the windchime on synott that were at the dollar 8 so I assume they bought the windchime. It's a bit more visable from the road than the dollar 8 was (and maybe larger, too).

thanks for the information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I always thought Westminster seemed a little cleaner than Windchimes. Plus, it had an altogether decent arcade right across the way. All I remember Windchimes having was a Xevious (sit down!) machine and one of those bizarre bio-rhythm things.

Hmm. . .that might make a fun thread.

• The title was changed to Westminster Dollar 8 Theater At 12121 Westheimer Rd.