Elevator Operators

Not that long ago (1960s) it was not uncommon to find paid personnel operating elevators in office buildings and department stores. I think I saw the last one that I can recall within the past 25 years---not in Houston though.

Can anyone think of a Houston building that still employs one?

Can anyone recall ever seeing a steam or hydraulic-powered elevator in his/her youth? Those would really have been relics if they survived even past WW I. But it's possible!

I seem to remember one kind of elevator arrangement that had like a double scissor-gate or a gate and door. Many had a raised stool for the operator to sit on those long hours.

Not that long ago (1960s) it was not uncommon to find paid personnel operating elevators in office buildings and department stores. I think I saw the last one that I can recall within the past 25 years---not in Houston though.

Can anyone think of a Houston building that still employs one?

Until very recently, the Beconsfield Condominiums on Main did. But they undertook a MODERNIZATION PROJECT a few years ago. I cannot find the reference, but I think the updates negated need for someone to operate the elevators.

I was just at Jones Hall last evening, but did not observe whether they still employed an elevator operator there. I think that position was trimmed with their budget cuts a few years ago. The elevator is a standard push-button elevator and does not require an operator.

Hydraulic elevators are very come these days. Most of the 3 or 4 story elevators seem to be hydraulic. The ones in the parking garages at Greenspoint make a lot of racket when the weather is cold, as the hydraulics move the car up and down.

Can anyone recall ever seeing a steam or hydraulic-powered elevator in his/her youth? Those would really have been relics if they survived even past WW I. But it's possible!

Hydraulic elevators are still common, but only for buildings with relatively few floors. They're typically used as the cargo elevator. And you'd never know that they were hydraulic to look at them.

I just noticed that the elevator at the Neiman's side of the Galleria ice rink is hydraulic (it is glass-enclosed and interesting to watch, though painfully slow). Funny, I never noticed until today, and then read this thread!

Edited by travelguy_73

I've always wanted to dress up as an elevator operator, go into some random office building, ask people "Which Floor Please?", then watch their reactions.

Hummmm.........shouldn't be too hard to pull off. You might get to wear the little red coat for a while, but then they may ask you to trade it for a white coat with very long sleeves, lol.

2m2gtft.jpg

• The title was changed to Elevator Operators