Any Old R/C Modelers Out There

aggieengineer

Back in the '60s and '70s, my dad and I spent countless hours flying radio control models from a field off Roark Road and Bissonet. Dirt from the Braes Bayou excavation had been spread out there years earlier in a chain of small hills. The top of one of the hills had been graded smooth, and on any weekend, there were lots of flyers. Some fine people, some fine times. Wish I could go back!

I believe those hills are the site of an apartment complex or townhomes today. Right on the bayou very near Beltway 8 between Beechnut and Bissonnett now? Those hills were actually a little closer to Beechnut & Roark intersection than Bissonnet & Roark. Do I have the right ones?

There used to be a terrific model shop on Strawberry in Pasadena - 'Grant's'. They had a huge collection of balsa planes, engines, and accessories, and lots of Revell model car kits too. Built a Revell model of the Batmobile.

Man, I haven't thought about that Revell stuff for years. Great memories. Makes me feel sad for kids today.

• The title was changed to Any Old R/C Modelers Out There?
  • The title was changed to Any Old R/C Modelers Out There