Texas Reds Festival in Downtown Bryan (6/20/09)

Scotch

Robert Earl Keen to headline Texas Reds

Entertainment for the third annual Texas Reds Steak and Grape Festival has been finalized.

The City of Bryan is pleased to announce that Midnight Express and Big Otis will perform on Friday, June 19, beginning at 7 p.m. Earl Thomas Conley and Robert Earl Keen will perform on Saturday, June 20, beginning at 7 p.m. Performances will be on the main stage at the corner of 28th and Main streets.

The festival is a free event in Historic Downtown Bryan. For more information, visit www.texasredsfestival.com.

Link to Eagle article:

Bryan festival gets Keen

• 2 months later...

Wine to flow in Bryan

By CASSIE SMITH

theeagle.com

More than 25,000 people are expected to converge on downtown Bryan this weekend for the Texas Reds Steak and Grape Festival. About 18,000 people attended the event last year, said Gwynne Shillings, a coordinator of the event. "We're definitely thinking this is going to be a bigger crowd," she said. "It just grows and grows each year."

The third annual event, a celebration of the Brazos Valley beef and wine industries, will feature more than 60 vendors along with 22 steak cook-off teams and 20 wineries from across the state, Shillings said.

The festival kicks off with food and wine vendors Friday, followed by a daylong wine tasting and grape stomp Saturday.

"It's a family event. It's not just geared toward one demographic," Shillings said. "We try and put something in for everybody."

...The festival has consolidated the wine vendors this year, Shillings said, so visitors can enjoy the selection of wines in one location with tables and fans.

Paul Bonarrigo, co-founder of Messina Hof Winery and Resort, applauded Bryan for developing the event "toward culinary tourism."

"It doesn't surprise me at all to see how fast the festival numbers have grown," he said.

Every winery that participated in last year's festival has returned this year, along with additional ones, he said. "My expectation is that, in the future, it will continue to grow," Bonarrigo said.

Texas Reds Festival

* Friday, 6 to 10:30 p.m.

* Saturday, 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.

Saturday's lineup

* Steaks will be served from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

* Wine tasting: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

* Wine concessions: 7 to 10:30 p.m.

* Kid Zone: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

* Grape Stomp: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

* Live entertainment: Noon to 10:30 p.m.

On the Internet

www.texasredsfestival.com

Tickets

* Ticket sales end at 8:30 p.m. Saturday

* Presale tickets will be available until Friday

Parking

Parking will be available at Blinn College. A free shuttle service will run to and from the festival grounds every 15 minutes from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday.

Texas Reds Festival a stompin' success

Bryan holds third annual steak and grape festival Friday and Saturday

By: Lorelei Willet

The Battalion

Issue date: 6/22/09

Steaks, grapes and fun, oh my!

The third annual Texas Reds Steak and Grape Festival kicked off Friday evening and continued all day Saturday in historic downtown Bryan. Over 40 wineries and steak cook-off teams, along with other vendors, crowded the streets while people poured in from around the state.

"I heard about [the festival] on the radio and then looked it up online and it sounded like a fun thing to do with my mom," said Stephanie Hornby, senior education major.

..."I can't choose between the steak and the wine," Hornby said. "They were both excellent."

...Besides the wine tasting and steak plates, people came to enjoy the many bands entertaining at the festival.

"[i came for] the wine and Robert Earl Keen, but Midnight Express was awesome," said Patrick Truitt, senior general studies major. "I love classic rock and even better, I love covers of classic rock." Keen, lead singer of his country band, is an A&M graduate, Class of 1978. Other bands and singers included the Big Otis Show Band, Earl Thomas Conley, Kathy Ross, Grupo Laredo, Texas Twisters and Leannasauras Rex.

..."The festival is great, we were here last year," said Brewster's Sweets(Corpus Christi) owner Jamie Gamez. "It's always a good time."

For those with less of a sweet tooth, fair favorites such as fried pickles, hot dogs and corn dogs were available.

"I got the spiral fries because they're my favorite carnival food," said Truitt.

Although Texas Reds seems more like an adult activity, the festival was well-equipped for a family affair with the Kids' Zone, which offered a variety of activities from a climbing wall and mechanical bull to a moon walk and train rides.

...The Texas Reds Festival has been growing in size and notice each year.

"Our goal is to make the Texas Reds a must-see event for the whole state," said an announcer on the main stage.

Reds festival deemed a 'success'

By CASSIE SMITH

theeagle.com

The Texas Reds Steak and Grape Festival sold out of wine and glasses for the first time, while beer sales almost doubled at this past weekend's event, officials said.

..."I think by any definition, this weekend was a five-star, home-run success," Watkins said of the event that drew more than 20,000 people.

...Steak sales were up by 35 percent from last year and the festival's revenue was up at least 40 percent, Watkins said, adding officials were still counting receipts.

"This has grown bigger than just a city event. It's become a community event," he said, describing the more than 500 volunteers who helped over two days.

Archived