Job prospects?

I am an intern (MArch) with three years experience in residential and commercial. I work for a small firm (that does big commercial work) in New Orleans. My firm is doing okay, we have a good amount of work with a tremendous job in the works, and I

Would it be incredibly foolish to leave a good job now?

I sympathize with your dilemma. The situation in Houston is better than most places but there have been lay-offs around town. To paraphrase an old saying, "It's not what you know, it's who knows what you know." If your skills set is unique or remarkable, and you can get the right employer to understand that, it would be a big advantage. Check the Houston AIA chapter's web site for job postings. You might just find the right thing.

Even if you have only been out of school for a few years you know that the market for architects and designers is a very fluid thing. Join a site like Linkedin and let others know what you are considering. Emphasize your special experience. Are you strong in graphics? Have you worked on healthcare or educational projects? Those are the two strongest markets right now.

Are you willing to work in a "niche" position? A few years ago I decided to learn and concentrate on specification writing. That has helped me get three jobs lately - the most recent one was returning to the first employer after the second one had a large lay-off late last year.

I met many great people who came to Houston after Hurricane Katrina. Many said they would stay and I considered that an advantage for my home town. New Orleans is a wonderful city and will, one day, be better than ever before but I do sympathize with your situation. Good luck.

Archived