Residential Architectural Glazing Security

After looking at some new residential projects online which have expansive use of glass, i'm trying to gauge the security issues of having such big architectural non-operable glazing.

I'd like to start a discussion on residential security, predominantly at doors and windows. Specific points to debate include but are not limited to :

• Security through comprehensive design.
  • Bullet-Proof, Blast Proof, Impact Resistant glass and its practicality in residential architecture.
  • Architectural detailing at windows to effectively limit likelihood of penetration.
  • Practicality of Active "Fortress" type solutions like roll down metal screens.
  • Psychological deterrent value of inoperable windows vs operable.
  • Crime statistics of break-in points, operable vs non-operable windows.
  • Window Breakage alarms.

Anyone that has stories, solutions, recommended manufactures, or general thoughts, please chime in.

After looking at some new residential projects online which have expansive use of glass, i'm trying to gauge the security issues of having such big architectural non-operable glazing.

I'd like to start a discussion on residential security, predominantly at doors and windows. Specific points to debate include but are not limited to :

• Security through comprehensive design.
  • Bullet-Proof, Blast Proof, Impact Resistant glass and its practicality in residential architecture.
  • Architectural detailing at windows to effectively limit likelihood of penetration.
  • Practicality of Active "Fortress" type solutions like roll down metal screens.
  • Psychological deterrent value of inoperable windows vs operable.
  • Crime statistics of break-in points, operable vs non-operable windows.
  • Window Breakage alarms.

Anyone that has stories, solutions, recommended manufactures, or general thoughts, please chime in.

I watched firemen pound on newly installed windows for 3 or 4 min with axes before they could break them... They are not easy to get through.

If I was going to do anything, I would prefer the roll down metal screens, that way you can have security and hurricane protection.

It would make me very nervous to live in a house with inoperable windows. The need for airflow in the event of electricity outages in the Houston climate far outweighs the security concern. Put a fence around the house, arm yourself, but don't seal the windows. You can always build metal cages later, when things get bad. Just remember the hinges.

I would love to install roll down hurricane shutters. But for the cost, I could build a garage and put all my valuables there.

I realize there are code, ventilation, and aesthetic reasons to have operable windows. I didn't mean to suggest every one be inoperable.

My personal thoughts on roll down metal grates are they are afterthought solutions that look tacky... but that do the job. They certainly wouldn't be suitable for the example below...

Take this house on University...

Modern design with huge picture window almost the entire front width of the house.

Now isolating any other factors like alarms on the window, security lighting out front, proximity to a busy street, strength of impact resistant glass, etc..... What I'm wondering is... psychologically.. is a huge pane of glass that is seen as breakable... is that more or less inviting to a burglar than a typical single-hung window ? Is ease of access valued more by "Can be opened" or by "Can be broken" ?

Also.. are there any crime statistics out there that would back up either way.

I realize there are code, ventilation, and aesthetic reasons to have operable windows. I didn't mean to suggest every one be inoperable.

My personal thoughts on roll down metal grates are they are afterthought solutions that look tacky... but that do the job. They certainly wouldn't be suitable for the example below...

Take this house on University...

Modern design with huge picture window almost the entire front width of the house.

Now isolating any other factors like alarms on the window, security lighting out front, proximity to a busy street, strength of impact resistant glass, etc..... What I'm wondering is... psychologically.. is a huge pane of glass that is seen as breakable... is that more or less inviting to a burglar than a typical single-hung window ? Is ease of access valued more by "Can be opened" or by "Can be broken" ?

Also.. are there any crime statistics out there that would back up either way.

I'd say that if the burglar can see something inside the house that he wants, that'd be his incentive to try to break in. Once he's decided to try to break in, he will look for the path of least resistance. He might first try the front or side doors, then try to open the garage door if there's a mechanism that would allow it. Then he'll check operable windows to see if there's one that isn't locked. I'm sure that if there are no other options, and the burglar is motivated enough, the smash and grab technique is next on the list. If he can smash through a window on the door to reach around and unlock it, that would be the most discrete approach. Knocking out a huge pane of glass in the front of a townhome that fronts a major thoroughfare probably would be the last thing he'd want to do before trying to kick in the door or taking a circular saw to the wood-framed wall.

The lesson, I think, is that having lots of glass is typically just fine. There should be two caveats, IMO: 1) make sure that the angles are aligned so as not to allow pedestrians on the street to see the contents of a home, aside from art on the walls or something like that, for which burglars usually don't have a concept of value; and 2) just in case, don't use massive panes of glass; break it up into sections so that one panel getting knocked out by a burglar (or just a surly teenager with a rock) can be quickly patched with a single sheet of plywood; this also keeps the replacement cost relatively low instead of requiring that an entire gargantuan sheet be custom-ordered with a two-week wait and a price tag that by itself would trigger an insurance claim.

And if a homeowner is really that concerned about safety, perhaps just install thick impact-resistant laminated glass or acrylic on the lower panels and not on the upper ones.