Top Ten Inner Loop Neighborhoods

It also depends on what type of housing you prefer? Do you prefer the prairie-style homes of Candlelight Estates, Timbergrove or Braeswood? Do you prefer the traditional victorians and tudors of the Rice Area? Westmoreland? Montrose? Are you looking townhome, and if so, are you looking for stucco, traditional, funky?

Not to hijack the topic, but it would be REALLY interesting to see the top ten inner loop neighborhoods that are say, east of a line formed by 45N, to 10 East, to 59 South, to 288 South. It's pretty well established that most, if not all, of the top ten inner loop areas are in the western half to the loop. Now let's see the eastern half.

Let's hear the Inner Loop experts.

Guest danax
East side of the Inner Loop (in no particular order):

Riverside Terrace

Washington Heights

University Oaks

Forest Park

Lindale

Eastwood

Pecan Park

MacGregor Estates

Broadmoor

Pine Valley

Let's not forget Idlywood. :o

My vote for the top 10 west side (if money were no object) in questionable order goes:

1. Shadyside - the great old Mansions along S. Main, Remington & Longfellow. Great trees, heart of the museum district, has the patina of an old historic neighborhood that River Oaks has lost.

2. Broad Acres - The oak alleys of North & South Boulevards. If you have ever seen them, you know.

3. Shadowlawn - small one circle neighborhood adjacent to Broad Acres. Wonderful architecture, trees, walk to the museums.

4. Courtlandt Place - Another great architectural enclave in Montrose. It is gated, but if you pull up to the gate, it just opens automatically. A concession made between neighbors who wanted it gated, and those that didn't.

5. Southampton - Sunset Blvd, Rice Blvd. Walk to the village, again with the oak trees.

6. Old Braeswood - Some of the city's best mid-century moderns, great mix of architectural styles.

7. Cherryhurst - Great bungalows, the park in the middle plus access to all the restaurants & funky shops along Westheimer. Very urban.

8. Westmoreland - A little odd with old apartments mixed in with historic homes, but great urban character.

9. Tall Timbers - the section west of Willowick, north of San Felipe. Generally the lots can actually handle the monstocity's built there. A rarity in this day and age.

10. Woodland Heights - the great views of the houses facing White Oak, quaint character in the middle of the city.

For the east side my two cents goes to:

1. Idylwood - great cottages and some two-stories. Well-maintained, rolling, hilly terrain that seems totally abnormal for Houston, but in a good way. Well insulated on all sides from undesirable development both new and old. Golf course next door.

2. Riverside Terrace - The areas south of the bayou are still deed-restricted & seems to have survived the best. Incredible architecture from mid-century moderns to K. Mott Tudors. Some streets have alleys, parks interwined through the neighborhood. Great access to med center.

3. Eastwood - Same original developers as Woodland Heights. oak lined streets, large arts & crafts style bungalows.

4. Houston Country Club Estates - lacks Idylwood's hilly terrain, but still has great homes, right by the golf course also. You can generally get a little more for your money

5. Simms Woods - same story as Houston Country Club Estates

6. Lindale Park - English style cottages reminiscent of the ones that used to be in West U or behind the River Oaks shopping center. Active civic club, large lots and wide streets. One of the inner-loops better housing bargains.

7. Devonshire Place - quickly being decimated by townhome builders, especially closer to Holcombe, but the blocks that are left have some great homes & trees. Alley access and walk to Hermann park or the Medical Center.

8. University Oaks - generally considered a part of Riverside Terrace, quiet, well maintained with great park access and surrounded in large part by U of H.

9. Binz - the collective neighborhoods north of Herman Park and south of 59. Officially Kenilworth Grove, Almeda Place, Southmore, Rosedale and others. Many homes are evaporating in favor of new townhomes, which are inflating prices. Wonderful proximity to everything. Lots of diamonds in the rough, if you can beat the speculative builders to them.

10. Broadmoor - A good option for the urban pioneer. Still pretty undiscovered, but give it a few years and see what happens. Positioned to take advantage of the upward mobility of Eastwood and Idylwood.

Two technically outside the loop but honorable mentions for any inner-looper:

West - Garden Oaks: Great older homes spread out on huge lots, almost country feel.

East - Glenbrook Valley: Hilly terrain & larger lots in the northern sections, deed-restricted with huge homes at a great price.

4. Courtlandt Place - Another great architectural enclave in Montrose. It is gated, but if you pull up to the gate, it just opens automatically. A concession made between neighbors who wanted it gated, and those that didn't.

I never knew that! I've always wanted to drive around Courtlandt Place and see what it looked like behind the gates. Now that I know the gate opens automatically for anyone that pulls up to it, I'm going to drive over there and explore the neighborhood tomorrow afternoon.

Heh Heh Heh (with a devious grin!) What the east siders don't know is that a I was really using them to let me know the areas to check out when I get ready to buy a house for my family in a couple of years. And they fell riiiight into my trap! Muahahahah!

lol, seriously, I appreciate the info. I wanna buy a house inside the loop but the west side is already WAY out of my price range for the most part. The east side has some gems in it--I just needed some guidance to find them. Thanks!

Guest danax
Heh Heh Heh (with a devious grin!)  What the east siders don't know is that a I was really using them to let me know the areas to check out when I get ready to buy a house for my family in a couple of years.  And they fell riiiight into my trap! Muahahahah!

lol, seriously, I appreciate the info.  I wanna buy a house inside the loop but the west side is already WAY out of my price range for the most part.  The east side has some gems in it--I just needed some guidance to find them.  Thanks!

Gov, we'd love to have you out on the East End. My favorite affordable neighborhood is Forest Hill. Quiet, picturesque with nice trees and great location. The energy is good here, there's a feeling that the area is being noticed and improved and I like the fact that it's really a mostly residential area, unlike the West End, where it feels very discombobulated and congested. Here, you live in a real neighborhood and within minutes you can go to the westside to shop or whatever. No freeways have ripped it apart yet either.

However, the only protection we have from it becoming like other innerloop sections of town is the unity of the residents and the tear-downs haven't really started yet so hard to say what it will look like in 10-20 years.

Thanks, Danax.  I'll make sure that I live Forest Hill a look-see and remember it when the time finally comes for my family to purchase a home.

Don't wait too long! More & more areas are getting "discovered" and each year it seems harder and harder to find close in bargains.

My sister and brother-in-law are looking to relocate to Houston because one of them is planning to attend UH. They are looking for a house that's reasonably close to the main campus in the $150,000 range - one that will appreciate in value. They have no kids, and they don't want to live in a suburban tract house area like Pearland.

My sister and brother-in-law are looking to relocate to Houston because one of them is planning to attend UH. They are looking for a house that's reasonably close to the main campus in the $150,000 range - one that will appreciate in value. They have no kids, and they don't want to live in a suburban tract house area like Pearland.

There is one in Idylwood they are asking $149,900 for, and a couple in upper Glenbrook that are large for $135 - $149k. I just sold one in Glenbrook with a pool for $135k. There are still great options over there depending on what type of house they want.

I think the key to guaranteeing appreciation is to find a house (1) with good bones and (2) pays homage to the style of the neighborhood (i.e., NOT a 50's tract home in a neighborhood of bungalows). $150k won't buy much in Idylwood, though occasionally an original conditiion cottage-style comes on the market.

I guess the old saying is still true: Buy the worst house in the best neighborhood you can afford.

Let's not forget Idlywood. :o

You know I couldn't possibly forget about Idylwood (even though I did). I redid my list and apparently didn't see that I had deleted Idylwood without putting it back.

If I ranked the East Side 'hoods, I would rank Idylwood right behind Riverside. The location along Brays Bayou and the hilly nature of the community are strong assets.

Guest danax
I'm another potential Houston resident, and have targeted te East End for my home search.

So, of the top 10 (11?) listed, what zip codes would I use when searching HAR?

#S 2, 7, 8 & 10 aren't really what is commonly known as the East End, which is usually defined as south of I-10, east of downtown and 59/45 and north of 610. Lindale is then really Near North.

77023 covers Idylwood, Forest Hill (not on list), Mason Park (not on list) and I believe Eastwood, at least parts of it, and Houston Country Club Estates and Simms Woods.

The warehouse district, that is the townhouse boom zone closest to downtown, is, at least partly, in 77003.

77012 and 77087 cover some of the lower priced areas. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

• 2 weeks later...

When you look on HAR go by the MLS areas, 3 - Southeast, and 4 -South will cover the east end neighborhoods, 9 - central north is where Lindale, Heights, Garden Oaks will be listed.

• 1 year later...
It also depends on what type of housing you prefer? Do you prefer the prairie-style homes of Candlelight Estates, Timbergrove or Braeswood? Do you prefer the traditional victorians and tudors of the Rice Area? Westmoreland? Montrose? Are you looking townhome, and if so, are you looking for stucco, traditional, funky?

Candlelight is outside the loop, dummy!

Archived