Are America's newspapers beginning to collapse?

Not really "beginning" to collapse. Most have been in dire straits for five years or more. A lot of them are either in bankruptcy or considering bankruptcy right now because it's their last hope for survival.

Smaller newspapers are even worse off. Hundreds of them have closed across the country in the last few years. Some have cut back to publishing dead tree editions only a few days a week, while continuing their news presence online. One small paper I know recently went from 7-days to Tuesday through Saturday. Strange days. I guess those are the ones that were the most profitable.

In Chicago, both newspapers are in bankruptcy. In LA, the Times is bankrupt; I don't know about the other ones. The Minneapolis and Saint Paul papers are considering merging to stay afloat. The Seattle, Detroit, and San Francisco papers are all looking for someone to buy them before they fold.

It's kind of sad, but it's a natural part of evolution. Those newspaper companies that invested in TV (New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Tribune, Belo, etc...) will survive. Those newspaper companies that invested heavily in web (News Corp, New York Times, USA Today) will struggle for a long while until the web gets its act together and then they'll be fine.

20 years from now we'll play this game again with new technologies.

A friend of mine in San Antonio told me last night that the Express News is letting go of 75 people from its newsroom alone.

Hearst owns the Express News, and they also own the Houston Chronicle. Time to do some googling to see if there are any impending cuts at the Chron.

edit:

The job cuts at the Express News amount to 15% and they've been charged with reducing expenses another 20%. Their editor mentions combining ops with the Chronicle. My neighbor is a machinist for the Chron's pressroom. Hope he's going to be OK.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/E-N_l...work_force.html

The San Francisco Chronicle and the Seattle P-I, both owned by Hearst as well, are in sell-or-die mode. Hearst implemented a "100 Days of Change" thing in January that will see major rearrangement at all of its papers, including our Chron. Two good resources for what's going on are here and here and a New Republic article about the societal implications of the newspaper's extinction is here.

The San Francisco Chronicle and the Seattle P-I, both owned by Hearst as well, are in sell-or-die mode. Hearst implemented a "100 Days of Change" thing in January that will see major rearrangement at all of its papers, including our Chron. Two good resources for what's going on are here and here and a New Republic article about the societal implications of the newspaper's extinction is here.

thx for the references. I really enjoyed the New Republic article. I was surprised at how many Washington news desks have been closed or significantly reduced by big papers. The idea of more non-profit papers, and philanthropic interests underwriting specific categories of public-policy reporting is pretty intriguing.

I wish more people either understood or cared why local professional journalism is important, and can't be entirely replaced by bloggers and news aggregators.

Two thoughts:

I wish our newspaper were owned by a local company like the Dallas Morning News (Belo); odds are that if Texas moves to a single regional news source, it will be based in Dallas.

The Chronicle site on Texas Ave. represents an interesting opportunity for redevelopment once the Chron inevitably moves out. Hopefully it doesn't just become a parking garage.

Two thoughts:

I wish our newspaper were owned by a local company like the Dallas Morning News (Belo); odds are that if Texas moves to a single regional news source, it will be based in Dallas.

The Chronicle site on Texas Ave. represents an interesting opportunity for redevelopment once the Chron inevitably moves out. Hopefully it doesn't just become a parking garage.

So you think that the Chronicle will inevitably close? Its one of the largest papers in America, and the largest in Texas.

Also, How did you get Nancy Sarnoff to read HIAF?

So you think that the Chronicle will inevitably close? Its one of the largest papers in America, and the largest in Texas.

Also, How did you get Nancy Sarnoff to read HIAF?

All print newspapers are almost certain to be gone in ten years. The Chronicle may survive as a web operation, but it won't need the big building at 811 Texas.

There was a discussion on here a few years ago about how hot she was and I e-mailed her the link. She e-mailed me back thanking me and saying it was embarrassing but funny. We exchanged more e-mails and then dated for awhile but it didn't last.

Okay, the last sentence isn't true.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived