Garage Apartment Questions

chuckdiesal

Someone told me you can't run gas into an upstairs detached apartment. Was he crazy?

The garage apartment I lived in had gas. It was built in 2003 I think, pretty new and bigger than most. I think it was actually bigger than my current house if you count the garage space footage. Anyway, maybe what you are talking about applies to add-ons and not new construction? I have no idea.

How about this - taking an existing ground-level garage and finishing it out as a studio-apartment-style guest house? Say one of the little older 1-car garages in a pre-war bungalow in-town.

A little, but not a lot of rewiring - repositioning some outlets, adding one or two more

Plumbing - putting in a bathroom - toilet, standup shower, sink, as well as putting in a kitchenette with a sink. Not putting in a dishwasher, so no need to plumb for that.

No nat gas - water heater would be a 30 gal electric

Cut a couple of holes and hang two sash windows

Put in some insulation, hang sheetrock on the outer walls, plus some studs and sheetrock for privacy for the new bathroom area.

No central AC - go with a window unit.

About how much would that cost?

How about this - taking an existing ground-level garage and finishing it out as a studio-apartment-style guest house? Say one of the little older 1-car garages in a pre-war bungalow in-town.

A little, but not a lot of rewiring - repositioning some outlets, adding one or two more

Plumbing - putting in a bathroom - toilet, standup shower, sink, as well as putting in a kitchenette with a sink. Not putting in a dishwasher, so no need to plumb for that.

Put in some insulation, hang sheetrock on the outer walls, plus some studs and sheetrock for privacy for the new bathroom area.

More than you'd think if you think to install a window you cut a hole and hang the window :)

PS. You don't save any money by not putting in a dishwasher besides the cost of the dishwasher and a water supply line. The dishwasher drain can tie into the sink drain and the water supply can come from under the sink too.

flipper

Depending on how fancy you get with fixtures and flooring, and how much you do yourself, I bet you could pull it off for 10 grand on the low side and 25-30 grand on the high side, using a GC. Your mileage may vary. What I may consider fancy, you may consider ghetto. What I may consider ghetto fabulous, you may consider fancy.

The biggest costs will be running plumbing and electric. Hanging a window consists of more than cutting a hole, but it ain't rocket science. It is, however, physics. ;)

Depending on how fancy you get with fixtures and flooring, and how much you do yourself, I bet you could pull it off for 10 grand on the low side and 25-30 grand on the high side, using a GC. Your mileage may vary. What I may consider fancy, you may consider ghetto. What I may consider ghetto fabulous, you may consider fancy.

The biggest costs will be running plumbing and electric. Hanging a window consists of more than cutting a hole, but it ain't rocket science. It is, however, physics. ;)

Thanks, that's about what I was guessing it would cost.

BTW, I do know that there is more to a window than a hole in a wall, which is to say I know a window from a hole in a wall :D

Thanks, that's about what I was guessing it would cost.

BTW, I do know that there is more to a window than a hole in a wall, which is to say I know a window from a hole in a wall :D

I'm with ya there. I thought it was funny that flipper picked the window for his DIY warning, too.

A homeowner who knows a little can be harder to deal with than one who knows nothing :)

flipper

You don't have to worry about me, I suck at even putting together Ikea furniture, I certainly wouldn't try doing any major remodeling myself. I was just curious because I used to rent a house like I described in my OP and always thought that the landlord could have made better use of the garage by converting it into a living space than he did using it as a storage for worthless junk he obviously hadn't touched in years.

• 12 years later...

I've been mulling over the idea of adding a garage+garage apartment on our corner lot and stumbled across this interesting thread.  Does anyone have any recent experience with builders/contractors, estimates or lessons learned they could share?

• 2 months later...

Came across this thread as we are now also considering a garage apartment in the Heights. In fact, we have an existing structure but by the time we remediate it and bring it up to code (basically untouched since 1940s) I think we may be looking at a full rebuild.

Considering in 2009 the cost was +/- 80K what are we realistically looking at today?

20 x 30ft 2 story structure. Double garage on lower level, 1 bedroom, kitchenette and bathroom on second story.

Cheers!

Just as an FYI: the city of Houston is currently looking at Accessory Dwelling Units and changing some of the more restrictive rules that prevent their development. 

You can research the Livable Places committee. We've been talking a little about it under the older Walkable Places committee thread here on HAIF.

I believe the deal is that if you go over 900 sf and have a full kitchen/bath in the garage apartment then you need another full parking spot. There are a bunch of other rules, too, of course.

I think timeline for a revision is the end of next year, though. Would have to be passed by city council. 

• Like 1