The Last Organic Outpost

http://www.lastorganicoutpost.com/

Somehow I live 6 blocks from this (the 1719 Live Oak St location) and never knew about it. Maybe I'll go volunteer this weekend.

On the subject of local produce, has anyone had any dealings with Central City Co-Op? A lot of local gardens sell their stuff at the Co-Op and I'm thinking about purchasing a share or two of fruits and vegetables.

Never purchased any shares from Central City, but I have purchased produce from Last Organic Outpost. They have a little table at the Midtown Farmer Market on Saturday mornings. Really nice people, really good food. They also hold community dinners every once in a while where they invite people to come nosh on their homegrown food. Cool stuff. :)

I went to the Discovery Green farmer's market yesterday (it was moved from Thursday to Sunday) and its come a long way. Its still not as good as the one at Tafia, but there's more booths than there used to be. Most importantly, it has Janice Schindler, Houston's Goddess of Pimento Cheese. I bought some ($7 for standard pimento cheese sized container) and was amazed at how good it was. Its got white cheddar, green onions, pimentos and I forget what else, but somehow I managed to eat the whole thing on crackers and bread yesterday evening.

There was also an Indian booth selling Naan and chicken samosas and some delicious dips.

The people doing the Indian also have a booth at t'afia. You gotta try the pumpkin naan with spicy yougurt dip. It's amazing. My b/f loves the pimento cheese, also, but I just don't get it. Is it a Texas thing? I'm not a native.

The people doing the Indian also have a booth at t'afia. You gotta try the pumpkin naan with spicy yougurt dip. It's amazing. My b/f loves the pimento cheese, also, but I just don't get it. Is it a Texas thing? I'm not a native.

I never thought about it, I thought everyone ate pimento cheese, but I guess it's a Southern thing.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6877304

Archived