United Arab Emirates Denies Visa To Shahar Peer, Israeli Tennis Star, For Sony Ericsson World Tennis Association Tour

VicMan

So I find this on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/02/15/...rael/index.html

* From my understanding the UAE has no legitimate reason to deny Shahar Peer, an Israeli, a visa so she can participate

* The WTA said "WTA unhappy, says move runs counter to its policy" - No, it should have frozen the tournament until Peer received her visa

* Other players should, in good conscience, not play until Peer gets the visa

So I find this on CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/02/15/...rael/index.html

* From my understanding the UAE has no legitimate reason to deny Shahar Peer, an Israeli, a visa so she can participate

* The WTA said "WTA unhappy, says move runs counter to its policy" - No, it should have frozen the tournament until Peer received her visa

* Other players should, in good conscience, not play until Peer gets the visa

I completely agree with you VicMan and think that the situation is entirely unfair. I actually came across an interesting discussion about the issue that you may find interesting: http://www.pandalous.com/nodes/why_is_political_racism

Since when does a country need a legitimate reason to deny a visa? Israel regularly denies travel visas to Palestinians who were born and grew up in Jerusalem, people with no ties to anything hostile or unpleasant.

Interesting story, to be sure, I'm thinking there is more to it than we're being told.

United Arab Emirates came up with the big win this time. They forced WTA to back down to their demands.

WTA came out the big loser this time. They let their basic principles slide, and instead focused only on the money.

Innocent Victim here: Shahar Peer, just a kid who wanted to compete in a tennis tournament.

I hope this serves as an example to the international community in the future, if UAE/Dubai offers you a whole bunch of money to hold a tournament of any kind, it comes with some serious strings attached and if you're not willing to capitulate to their racist demands, then you will have to turn down their offer and look elsewhere to host your tournament.

This international incident has seriously tarnished the reputation of the WTA. UAE's, however, was already tarnished.

Since when does a country need a legitimate reason to deny a visa? Israel regularly denies travel visas to Palestinians who were born and grew up in Jerusalem, people with no ties to anything hostile or unpleasant.

Well, two wrongs don't make a right. Also WTA hosts are required to let all of the qualified contestants in. Will the WTA keep faith to its own rules?

• The title was changed to United Arab Emirates Denies Visa To Shahar Peer, Israeli Tennis Star, For Sony Ericsson World Tennis Association Tour

Archived