Cedar Fence Installation

Need suggestions/advice on finding a company to install a 75ft section of cedar fence that was damaged by Ike.

I've been trying to find someone who is reliable and will provide references and a written estimate on replacing the fence that was damaged by Ike. I've tried every major fence company in Houston. Their estimates were ridiculous (over $2500 total) and they would not be able to provide the new fence for 3-4 months. Same excuse given multiple times. Then I go to individuals who are on Craigslist or with signs, they can't or won't provide references or written estimates.

Is it that difficult these days to get someone to replace a cedar fence?

Here is what I am looking for.

Demo 75ft old fence. This includes removing the old posts from the ground.

Replace the old fence with a new 75ft of 8ft high cedar dog ear pickets.

Haul off the old fence or stack it in front yard if I can schedule the installation to coincide with heavy trash.

I would prefer to have cedar or metal posts. Every fence in the area that i have seen since Ike that used pressure treated posts the posts warped and twisted. Not good.

I've got the cash from the insurance claim so all I have to do is find someone to do it for a reasonable price and reasonable quality.

Thanks.

I used an outfit called Allways Fencing (http://www.allwaysfencing.com). He can sometimes be difficult to initially contact (think he's on-site a lot and has only 1-2 crews), but once you're booked (1-2 weeks out usually, and this was a month or two back when the Ike rush was probably worse) the service and quality is amazing. He uses type 1 cedar (no bad knots or holes) for the pickets and the posts are treated pine. I am no fence/wood expert, but I think cedar is considered better for pickets because they don't warp/split and look nicer, but treated pine is better for the heavy 4X4 posts since they are in the ground and are less prone than cedar to rot. He uses a rot board standard so the pickets don't make contact with the ground. What made their fences stand out is they really take extra care to make sure everything is level on top by adjusting the height of the rot board. My neighbor got a fence by what is likely the biggest fence co in town and the quality difference is very apparent.

Anyway, they charge 22/ft for 6ft (6.5 with rot board) and provide free written estimates. The price includes tear down of old fence, haul away, installation of new, and cleanup (left the site spotless). Not cheap, but not out of line from the million estimates I got. Usually all the outfits that were significantly cheaper either had inferior materials (pine pickets, no rot board, or only 2 rails) or were questionable outfits that I doubt would provide any sort of support later on.

Edited by sjetexas

• 3 months later...