Austin Real Estate Market

adailey

How are values in Austin doing? I own a couple of homes there and heard from a friend in LA that the values are doing very well over the last year. Any input? My houses are on Lake Austin and another off Duval and 183. I have not owned them long so just the last 18 mos is what trend I am looking for.

How are values in Austin doing?  I own a couple of homes there and heard from a friend in LA that the values are doing very well over the last year.  Any input?  My houses are on Lake Austin and another off Duval and 183.  I have not owned them long so just the last 18 mos is what trend I am looking for.

My understanding was that the expensive stuff was doing real crappy, and the affordable stuff was staying flat or slightly up appreciation wise. I know I wouldn't move to Austin...the traffic is HORRENDOUS.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest OutOfTheRacesAndOntoTheTracks

Hey, we have Mopac! And as for the real estate? Pfft, Austin thinks it's New York City or something. I fairly close to downtown off of Mopac and saw a crappy one story home there built in the forties and they were asking 1.2 million dollars. Yeah, insane. Apparently all the homes in that area are in the high 100 thousands but most all of them are old and ugly! Your home on Lake Austin is probably worth a billion dollars now mate.

• 7 months later...

austin traffic is worse than houston's traffic (excluding i-10/610 interchange, as there is no traffic worse than that)

"fairly close to downtown off of Mopac" would be tarrytown, and yes, it is very expensive. it's like the heights or west u. (Matthew Mccoupaohgalshnhey (sic) lives there, that one actress chic lives there.... etc...)

i need to see what's going on out by the lake (Lago Vista). i have land out there. thinking i might build and sell.

austin traffic is worse than houston's traffic (excluding i-10/610 interchange, as there is no traffic worse than that)

"fairly close to downtown off of Mopac" would be tarrytown, and yes, it is very expensive. it's like the heights or west u. (Matthew Mccoupaohgalshnhey (sic) lives there, that one actress chic lives there.... etc...)

i need to see what's going on out by the lake (Lago Vista). i have land out there. thinking i might build and sell.

I was contacted about a job in Austin that paid more money that I make here. I turned it down flat. That place is awesome for a college kid up to about 30. After that is losses its appeal in my eyes.

My best friend lives in Austin and bitches incessantly about the Houston traffic. I feel the same about Austin Traffic. I think you need to know the best routes.

Austin is great for all ages if you like natural scenery. I myself never got tired of the lakes (in summer) and greenbelts (in winter). Traffic in central Austin is fairly light save for evening rush hour, the only exception being the three bridges over the river.

• 2 months later...

i could move back to austin if i had enough money to live on the water... i like having access to live music. that is the one thing that, to me, houston lacks. yes, concerts, etc., come to houston, but i just want to get done working and go down to some spot and hear bands... hip-hop, rock, jazz, blues, country, whatever... i like the sound of live music, and houston doesn't have it.

While some parts of the city may have high housing prices there are some really great areas that are affordable as well. Its traffic in my opinion is not as bad as Houston's even with the fact that our infrastructure is not planned out well.

Had a house in the Mopac and Far West area, nestled in over by the HEB. We moved back down here in 2001 after the dotcom bust. No more Dellionaires to do business with so we came home. Got out just in time. Nice place to visit, don't want to live there again unless I am retired and can go to the jukejoints everynight.

Archived