Heights Blood Drive

editor

A blood/platelet drive will be conducted at Reagan Lodge on September 11th

at 8 AM to Noon.

A unit from M.D. Anderson will provide the services with snacks included for

donors.

Please donate now for emergency requirements you or your loved ones may

have.

For more information telephone Reagan Lodge No. 1037 AF & AM at (713)

861-1037

If you haven't given blood yet, then you ought to.

I have, and I'm a real wimp, and socially irresponsible. If even I can do it, so can you.

Oh..but it takes so much time! Um, no. It's over pretty quickly. And what else did you have planned...watching that rerun of "Friends"?

It makes you a volunteer, and there's a real satisfaction to being a volunteer. It makes you a good person.

But...they stick you with a needle, and it's gonna hurt! Yeah. It's going to hurt as much as about 10 other things are going to hurt you today. You can handle 11.

Every now and then, TV stations report that hospitals are running short of blood. Given that TV stations usually don't report things like people starving or freezing to death, it means that blood shortages are a big deal. Maybe someone might die without a blood donation. Hope it's not someone you like or love. Or you.

I gave blood for the first time last year at a blood drive where I worked. I was surprised how quickly it was done. I've always been terrified of needles, but since I'm now in a leadership position it was wrong for me to ask the staff to do it without rolling up my own sleeve.