Carnival Commercial

Well the worlds largest beach balls you saw last year in Dallas is a commercial about the Cruise Line Carnival.

I think they should've done this in Houston or Galveston imo since theres a Carnival cruise ship in Galveston... <_<

It's for the better, really. If we want more tourists from Dallas spending their money here, we need to appeal to them.

Not just Dallas. That spot is playing nationwide. There's a long version which mentions Dallas, and a short version that doesn't.

The OP lamented that it was not Houston. I gave reason not to lament. That was all.

To the extent that they have to use a city, Dallas makes a really good candidate. Certainly a better one than Houston, where brand/product awareness is comparably high by virtue of that we have a cruise terminal here that gets a fair bit of local press. And a Texas city makes sense because our economy is stronger than the rest of the country.

It's for the better, really. If we want more tourists from Dallas spending their money here, we need to appeal to them.

Well I still think it would've been better if they did this in Houston or Galveston.Editor is right this commercial plays nationwide and if there advertising a Cruise Line why would they do this in Dallas? Dallas is'nt near any large body of water (Gulf of Mexico, Pacific Ocean...) If Carnival cruise line really want more customers then they better be a little more smart next time and pick a city near an ocean or one with a Cruise Terminal.

Well I still think it would've been better if they did this in Houston or Galveston.Editor is right this commercial plays nationwide and if there advertising a Cruise Line why would they do this in Dallas? Dallas is'nt near any large body of water (Gulf of Mexico, Pacific Ocean...) If Carnival cruise line really want more customers then they better be a little more smart next time and pick a city near an ocean or one with a Cruise Terminal.

I think Dallas was a better choice than Houston or Galveston for the exact opposite reason you imply. The ad is playing in the dead of winter and your target market is all of these people in the landlocked cities (this is a getaway vacation) that could more easily relate to Dallas. Also, in Dallas you need to fly somewhere to take a cruise, this promotion helped market Galveston as a place to go instead of the longer flight to say Florida. I bet there are a lot more people in the DFW metro that didn't realize Galveston was an option than in the Houston metro.

To answer the previous poster's question, there was a festival downtown put on by Carnival with live music and free food that attracted all those people.

jason

P.S. For whatever reason the above link didn't work right for me but this one does:

Where did all those people come from? I stayed at the Magnolia in October during the week and DT was a ghost town.

To much of a surprise and shocker. There are 120,000 plus people that work in the central business district. When its nice out Main Street and Elm has quite a bit of foot traffic, otherwise most the restaurants and most people are still in the tunnels. Durning the spring / summer / early fall there is usually something going on at Pegasus Plaza adjacent to where you stayed that usually draws in a decent crowd. I work in the Republic Center that is a few blocks away. The only word we got of the event was an email about street closures, and that was on that day.

To much of a surprise and shocker. There are 120,000 plus people that work in the central business district. When its nice out Main Street and Elm has quite a bit of foot traffic, otherwise most the restaurants and most people are still in the tunnels. Durning the spring / summer / early fall there is usually something going on at Pegasus Plaza adjacent to where you stayed that usually draws in a decent crowd. I work in the Republic Center that is a few blocks away. The only word we got of the event was an email about street closures, and that was on that day.

What were you doing at work on a Sunday?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the commercial had much at all to do with Dallas. You have to listen pretty closely to hear it even took place there.

It probably had more to do with where the creative/production crew was located and/or where they could get the right location to launch giant beach balls into the street.

Archived