Tlc's Sheer Dallas

The station is TLC (I don't know the local Houston channel), and the show is called "Sheer Dallas"

Here are the storylines for two of the shows

1. Sheer Dallas

Love and Marriage Dallas Style

Everything is bigger in Dallas especially when it comes to love and marriage. Dallas weddings cost a whole lot more than weddings in the rest of the country, coming in at $25,000 on average. An engagement ring less than $50,000 is unacceptable.

2. Sheer Dallas

Image is Everything

Follow three Dallas entrepreneurs on their journey to pursue the American dream. Two friends put their money on the line to open a bar, a Dallas socialite makes the pilot for a talk-show and an up-and-coming fashion designer hopes to hit the big time.

The station is TLC (I don't know the local Houston channel), and the show is called "Sheer Dallas" 

Here are the storylines for two of the shows

1. Sheer Dallas

Love and Marriage Dallas Style

Everything is bigger in Dallas especially when it comes to love and marriage. Dallas weddings cost a whole lot more than weddings in the rest of the country, coming in at $25,000 on average. An engagement ring less than $50,000 is unacceptable.

2. Sheer Dallas

Image is Everything

Follow three Dallas entrepreneurs on their journey to pursue the American dream. Two friends put their money on the line to open a bar, a Dallas socialite makes the pilot for a talk-show and an up-and-coming fashion designer hopes to hit the big time.

Boy I would agree with #2.

I see this show as another piece that irons on the perception that we Houstonians often assume about Dallasites. It doesn't mean it is correct, but it just projects that image.

I saw the commercials and got sick of the show already. It is almost like it is meant to actually belittle Dallas and the people that are involve with the show are too stuck on themselves to realize it.

There was an article and interview in OUT about the gay event planner on the show. I was appalled at the end of the article.

I hate when television shows make assumptions of us Houstonians, my fell Louisiananians and Dallasites.

I see this show as another piece that irons on the perception that we Houstonians often assume about Dallasites.  It doesn't mean it is correct, but it just projects that image.

I saw the commercials and got sick of the show already.  It is almost like it is meant to actually belittle Dallas and the people that are involve with the show are too stuck on themselves to realize it.

There was an article and interview in OUT about the gay event planner on the show.  I was appalled at the end of the article.

I hate when television shows make assumptions of us Houstonians, my fell Louisiananians and Dallasites.

Ya, like that damn accent in "14 hours". I hate that.

I Know what you are saying kjb434.  Dallas is a wonderful city with many sides.  I'll admit though, I do get kinda amused at seeing actual Dallasites that live up to the stereotypes.

I have been geting my hair cut here for almost 2 years. Pompeo is a pretty laid back place with a urban feel and vibe. TLC came in and basically "created" a new Pompeo. They even (shock!) hired actors to portray clients. I am sure this will further diminsh the view of Texans in general. Ugh.

Y'see I think in the reality TV world the villaness of Dallas is that woman from "Wife Swap" in the first episode (not sure you remember but she was SO picky and yet so rich)

The hero of Dallas (suburb) is their own "Kelly Clarkson" not to fear Houston we have:

Beyonce (Destiny's Child) and now whoever "Baby Bash" is (which I hear he is upcoming to be a star! :)

I have not yet seen this show, but can't wait to check it out.

At first glance this does appear to be another slice of the "everything is bigger and grander in Texas" themes.

Dallas tends to be the lightning rod for this type of depiction (granted, it probably brings it on itself), but the stereotype generally applies to all of Texas. Most people in the rest of the country don't really differentiate between Dallas, Houston, or the rest of the state anyway.

These stories may be entertaining for us to watch, but are these "JR Ewing" follow-ups good or bad for the state's image? Is this reinforcing an old sterotype or updating perceptions of us? Perhaps this is simply a case of "any publicity is good pubilcity".

I am really curious to hear people's thoughts on this subject,

These stories may be entertaining for us to watch, but are these "JR Ewing" follow-ups good or bad for the state's image?  Is this reinforcing an old sterotype or updating perceptions of us?  Perhaps this is simply a case of "any publicity is good pubilcity".

I think it's preferable to reinforce the characteritures.

Its always ammusing to see how people perceive Texas. Both these metro areas don't fit these sterotypes overall. You can defiently find these things in any part of the state or country. But I think the show "Dallas" put it right out there what the "oil business" does to Texas. New York is kinda in the same boat. According the countless movies and more recently "Sex in the City", you would think most people dressed on the cutting edge of fashion. Another stereo type that I found out quickly does not hold true after living there. I can tell you that I work on private homes, vacation homes, etc. for the "rich", and can tell you this is by no means the majority. Most of our clients are so far from this stero type. A couple of them I have seen driving the more expensive cars, but many of them drive something like a passat. But it wouldn't be entertaining, and know from first hand accounts with my friends from NY visiting they do not find what they have perceived Dallas to be when they visit. I have another friend coming in town to Dallas in a couple of weeks. We've joked around a little bit about it, but he'll see first hand. Whats really amuzing is the stereo type that Dallas was built on oil money. Oil has never been havested in Dallas COUNTY, in fact Dallas economic engine in the early days was solely business, trade, and agriculture. The oil industry was almost solely in Houston, even Mobil/Exxon (one of the very few oil companies here) has switched most of its operation from Dallas to Houston in recent years.

I see this show as another piece that irons on the perception that we Houstonians often assume about Dallasites.  It doesn't mean it is correct, but it just projects that image.

I saw the commercials and got sick of the show already.  It is almost like it is meant to actually belittle Dallas and the people that are involve with the show are too stuck on themselves to realize it.

There was an article and interview in OUT about the gay event planner on the show.  I was appalled at the end of the article.

i felt exactly the same way! the producers of these shows are really reaching the bottom of the barrel on this one.

The old 'Dallas' image is back

TV series proves that until Dallas gets a new image, it's stuck with soap version

07:53 AM CDT on Friday, April 15, 2005

By MANUEL MENDOZA / The Dallas Morning News

That rock on Uptown salon owner Deanna DiPizio's left hand is a 5-carat engagement ring. It's also a main character in Sheer Dallas, a new reality series about the lifestyles of the rich and opulent that tonight starts boosting Dallas' image as a city of tacky excess.

This article is addressed in a separate topic in the Dallas sub-forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I know everybody down there isn't like this but from an outsider looking in, when I'm in Dallas I do see more big stiff hair, more makeup, more outlandish bright clothing particularly with the women from say 45 years old and up. Sometimes I look at houses for sale in Dallas on different websites. When I click on the pictures of the interiors of some they all look the same. Rather gawdy with big old fashion china cabinets with fake ivy cascading from the top. Flower print couches and so on. Oh well, Sheer Dallas is not as bad as I thought. It's entertaining.

Y'see I think in the reality TV world the villaness of Dallas is that woman from "Wife Swap" in the first episode (not sure you remember but she was SO picky and yet so rich)

The hero of Dallas (suburb) is their own "Kelly Clarkson" not to fear Houston we have:

Beyonce (Destiny's Child) and now whoever "Baby Bash" is (which I hear he is upcoming to be a star! :)

Correction: Kelly Clarkson is not from a suburb of Dallas. She's from Burleson, a suburb of Fort Worth... That would explain why she's so down to Earth and not a pretentious wanna-be.

Correction: Kelly Clarkson is not from a suburb of Dallas. She's from Burleson, a suburb of Fort Worth... That would explain why she's so down to Earth and not a pretentious wanna-be.

yeah, i have never had a problem with folks from ft. worth. the ones i went to college with from dallas just seemed so 'plastic'. almost like angelinos of the texas.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a well known fact of science that once someone moves into Dallas County, they automatically become pretentious, plastic snobs.

The only way their hearts continue to beat is through an injection administered by their plastic surgeons during a routine, weekly visit. It's called "Dallas Juice." It's true! I've seen it happen. People that move to Dallas are plastic or become plastic because there are chemicals that exist in Dallas county that you can breathe only if you have a primary residence in the county. People that live 3 feet away from Dallas County are down to Earth, personable people. Dallasites are snobs. It just makes sense!

I'm sure peopel from Belaire, Spring Branch, or West U, say to outsiders they from Houston. But that's a little different in that so many other cities around Houston, are actually and in fact, INSIDE Houston. I think the last time I counted there were 7 or so cities completely surrounded by the city of Houston. So in that case, people in West U would actually be in both.

I think its so funny when I ask people where they're from & they say "Dallas", then I ask where in Dallas & they reply with some place that isn't even in Dallas County like Plano or Arlington.  :lol:

Ummmm...Does it matter? Go anywhere else say ummmm...Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, LA, Detroit, Miami, wherever else its the same story as in Dallas because those metros are made up of so many suburbs/surrounding towns and those people say they are from Chicago not Rosedale. Or for example one of our accounts we handle is a national restuarant chain working arround the country, our "Miami" project is in West Miami which is a suburb, and we have another in Boston but its in this suburb called bentree or deadtree or something. So I guess Metro Matt you are thinking its so funny about every other city in this country as well. So do you know where Wheaton, Poughkeepsie or Dunwoody is? One is a suburb of Chicago my family use to live in, one is a suburb of NYC where I have some friends, and another is suburb of Atlanta that I was born in. Even my parents to this day say I was born in Atlanta and we use to live in Chicago never the actual towns unless someone asks "which part?". People living outside New York city even in NJ (exception people in Newark----lots of civic pride there) say they are from New York City. Like one of my best friends who lives in West New York which is a city on the edge of the Hudson in NJ overlooking Manhattan.

Its a small detail and one that has been traveled down many of times before in this forum. But please don't disrupt a good friendly exchange of words about a show in order to take a swing at Dallas and resort back to kindergarten bickering.

Archived