Houston Archaeological And Historical Commission

tmariar

Thought others might be interested in this summary list of proposed changes to the Historic Preservation Ordinance, which will be considered at a meeting on January 15 (this Thursday) at 3:00pm:

[*]Increase the number of HAHC members from 11 to 13

[*]Makes the director a non-voting member for quorum purposes

[*]One member of the HAHC will be a registered remodeler or builder

[*]Two members of the HAHC will be historic district homestead residents

[*]HAHC will establish a schedule of submittal deadlines and meeting dates

[*]Applications for a certificate of appropriateness must be complete and meet submittal deadline to be on the next HAHC agenda

[*]Posted notice (front yard

This is great information, and the hotlink describes a Houston history and archeology body I never knew existed. I read these proposals, and my first thought is that they will make it more difficult to designate something historical, and hence more difficult to save something from demolition. The following two points seem intended to make things harder, and if the applicants fail to meet them, then "well they failed to follow procedure so now the city or private developers will go ahead with their plans."

Applications for a certificate of appropriateness must be complete and meet submittal deadline to be on the next HAHC agenda

<LI>Posted notice (front yard

CH - I haven't had a chance yet to look at the redline (document showing actual language of proposed changes to the ordinance) accessible from the page linked above, but this was my quick take on which are pro-builder, pro-preservation, and neutral:

Pro-Preservation:

Posted notice (front yard

CH - I haven't had a chance yet to look at the redline (document showing actual language of proposed changes to the ordinance) accessible from the page linked above, but this was my quick take on which are pro-builder, pro-preservation, and neutral:

Pro-Preservation:

Posted notice (front yard

not sure the sign does a thing. they are required to do this when replatting currently.

Yeah, I've seen a few of the replatting signs around. They usually catch my attention - seems like a decent way of letting a neighborhood know that an application of some sort is pending that would affect an historic property. Whether anyone cares is another thing, though, I guess.

• The title was changed to Houston Archaeological And Historical Commission

Archived