A mighty tome.

marmer

It was a Hail Mary pass on my Christmas list, but Santa brought me one. It is the biggest book I have ever seen, save the OED. It comes in a green plastic carrying case. Check it out:

With its little brother, the Travel Guide to Contemporary World Architecture:

PC300002.jpg

A sample page, featuring Daniel Liebeskind's Imperial War Museum North in England:

PC300003.jpg

With the Travel Guide open for comparison. This is the Turning Torso Tower in Malmo, Sweden:

PC300004.jpg

Is the Hobby Center in it? ;)

Yep, and a pair of townhouses by Francois de Menil. Those are the only Houston buildings. The Beck Building at MFAH is the only Houston building in the earlier Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture.

I've seen that in the architecture book store. It's a mammoth volume. It's a tome in every sense of the word. Unfortunately, the display copy had been pawed over so much that it was in really bad shape. Be careful with it, because from what I could tell in the book store it falls apart pretty easily (maybe under its own weight).

I have the little pocket-sized version. The big one is almost large enough to be its own coffee table.

I've seen that in the architecture book store. It's a mammoth volume. It's a tome in every sense of the word. Unfortunately, the display copy had been pawed over so much that it was in really bad shape. Be careful with it, because from what I could tell in the book store it falls apart pretty easily (maybe under its own weight).

I have the little pocket-sized version. The big one is almost large enough to be its own coffee table.

Yes, I can see that it is not structurally capable of supporting its own weight. Just handling it makes it clear how careful you have to be with it. I can imagine a display copy wouldn't hold up well. It's exactly the kind of thing you would like to kinda leaf through occasionally, but you really have to plan when you look at it. It is too big to hold on your lap. Big thick pages give nasty paper cuts, too. :-( It is very much more detailed than the little one, but it costs about ten times as much, too.

Yep, and a pair of townhouses by Francois de Menil. Those are the only Houston buildings. The Beck Building at MFAH is the only Houston building in the earlier Atlas of Contemporary World Architecture.

Wow, I'm jealous! :) I hope you have a coffee table that is sturdy enough!

You have to wonder how those were the choices for Houston buildings, although since it is 21st century there probably wasn't a lot to choose from. Instead of the Hobby Center I would have selected that new tall one (name escapes me at the minute) in the Med Center.

Archived