Are there any grasscrete areas that are open to the public near the Heights?

I'm seriously considering a grass driveway installation this spring so if anybody knows of one that I can go take a look at, I'd appriciate any leads. I know there's a big one by the Texans' practice facility so I'll drive by there when I get the chance, but I'm afraid that it's going to be locked most of the time and I won't be able to walk and drive on it. I really want to experience one close up.

The reason that I'm considering grass is because with the addition of a pool and a big concrete deck, I now have very little green in my backyard, only two thin strips 3' and 6' wide down each side of the yard. So plowing up my existing gravel driveway and replacing it with something like grasscrete would definately help balance out all of the hardscape and look a little more natural.

For the front I'm planning to go with twin concrete tracks leading to the gate. The grass driveway would go from the gate back to the detached garage at the back of the yard, about 60 ft long and probably about 850 ft2. I'd also appriciate leads on any local installers. I think the official distributer for Grasscrete for this area is out in Baytown.

The Texans practice field was actually done with a product called GrassPave.

The local GrassPave distributor is a company called MKM Sales in Baytown. I believe they also did a public park (or school fields?) somewhere in north Houston that you could likely access.

It is a really impressive product but doesn't seem to been widely used for residential applications yet. For your application it would seem to be a great idea, though if you consistently park over grass in Houston the heat from your car will kill it.

Edited by cwrm4

• 4 weeks later...

I found out that there is some GrassPave in use at the Heights pumping station on 19th. Just looking through the fence, it looks like there are some pretty bare in spots in the grass, but it's winter time and I don't know how much traffic that area sees.

I still hold out some hope for my installation since I'll be driving on it only one trip in and out a day and maybe a little more on the weekend. And I always park in the garage, never on the driveway.

I found out that there is some GrassPave in use at the Heights pumping station on 19th. Just looking through the fence, it looks like there are some pretty bare in spots in the grass, but it's winter time and I don't know how much traffic that area sees.

I still hold out some hope for my installation since I'll be driving on it only one trip in and out a day and maybe a little more on the weekend. And I always park in the garage, never on the driveway.

Looking at the weeds that have grown between my pavers, you shouldn't have any problems.

Just do your research. I've seen similar products implemented to provide grassy fire lanes, but where the grass just doesn't grow for some reason. I suspect it is a problem resulting from installation, soil compaction, infertile soil, or something like that.

• The title was changed to Grass Crete