Addicks Reservoir Mystery Road And Cross

theoriginalkj

Speaking of "when cattle were still running there." The Addicks dam area was well known in the 60s and 70s as being the perfect environment for Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms. You had everything there a magic mushroom might want, readily available growing medium (cow patties) and lots of water and humidity. I used to hear about people going back in there and picking mushrooms by the grocery bag full. Those mushroom people must have been, either fearless or totally unaware that the area was spilling over with special ops, black helicopters, 18 wheelers, Chupacabras, UFO landing pads, snakes, crop circles, and ghosts. Or maybe they were part of the same larger conspiricy. Sounds plausible doesn't it? Can someone check to see if there is an X-file already open on Addicks Dam?

Bat boy spotted at Addicks Dam

Bat_Boy.gif

Today on Click2Houston web site is a story of a couple in Hall County who raise cattle. They are investigating the 20th mutilated cow in the last year. Same story in evey case, surgical removal of the same organ parts with no evidents left behind. Police do not have have a clue as to what could be causing this: Sept 30, 2010 "The couple has called the Hall County Sheriff's Office after each incident, but authorities are just as confused. Investigators said they’re stumped because the culprits don't even leave behind any footprints". The ranchers have offered rewards for any info on these deaths. I am as confused as everyone else and would like to know why and how this keeps happening. If anyone has a clue, other than the ranchers are taking mind altering mushrooms, please fill me in because these stories keep being reported.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mystery road and cross is no longer a mystery. I just met the property owner and he explained the circles, cross and the military activity behind the dam. This land has been in his family for many generations and he knows the history. He also owns the property behind the Barker dam. Many years ago the circles and cross in question was a fish farm and these were tanks next to a loading dock. The cross probably divided different size or species of the fish for sale. He moves his cows when it floods and has no mutilated cattle or any other strange activity. I ask him about all the military stuff going on there when I was a kid and he said the military used the land to practice very low altitude jumps for a conflict we had going on at the time down in Panama. Recently, he was looking for a steer and went into some heavy brush and found an Indian burial ground. He did a GPS and sent it to the Corps of Engineers. He has never seen or heard anything strange or of any real interest to make this mystery road, crop circles or cross anything more than an old fish farm.

Well, it seems like the mystery is pretty much solved now. In a way it's a relief, but in another way it's kind of disappointing not to have the mystery anymore.

Since the pond is apparently nameless, I'm going to claim it in the name of HAIF. It is now HAIF Pond. To reenforce my claim, I've gone out there and sprinkled Miracle-Gro in the shape of the letters H-A-I-F in the circle.

gallery_1_65_20728.png

Recently, he was looking for a steer and went into some heavy brush and found an Indian burial ground. He did a GPS and sent it to the Corps of Engineers. He has never seen or heard anything strange or of any real interest to make this mystery road, crop circles or cross anything more than an old fish farm.

Pretyy cool stuff about the indian buriel ground. Did he mention whether it was on his land or public land?

It is on his property but would probably be hard to find since he had never seen it before. Very nice guy that would not be a threat to someone looking around, he just wants to raise cattle. He has much larger ranches in the panhandle and in Arkansas. He had a swine farm near Westheimer Pkwy and Fry road but got into a legal battle with Kickerillo homes and had to shut it down. No wonder there are so many wild pigs in Bush Park.

Pretyy cool stuff about the indian buriel ground. Did he mention whether it was on his land or public land?

You were right, it was a tank with dividers.

ok...picture a tank holding something...it came time to fill it...they used the dirt from around the area to fill it to the top of the dividers or whatever those things are making the cross. Of course they are straight..they are man made. The area is marsh now because its low due to the removal of dirt to fill the area. IT would take alot of dirt to fill something that size.

if you go back, bring a shovel and dig where the cross is and you will hit something solid very quickly.

Mystery road and cross is no longer a mystery. I just met the property owner and he explained the circles, cross and the military activity behind the dam. This land has been in his family for many generations and he knows the history. He also owns the property behind the Barker dam. Many years ago the circles and cross in question was a fish farm and these were tanks next to a loading dock. The cross probably divided different size or species of the fish for sale. He moves his cows when it floods and has no mutilated cattle or any other strange activity. I ask him about all the military stuff going on there when I was a kid and he said the military used the land to practice very low altitude jumps for a conflict we had going on at the time down in Panama. Recently, he was looking for a steer and went into some heavy brush and found an Indian burial ground. He did a GPS and sent it to the Corps of Engineers. He has never seen or heard anything strange or of any real interest to make this mystery road, crop circles or cross anything more than an old fish farm.

I doubt he actually owns the land inside the reservoirs. The Corps of Engineers owns the land. If memory serves, the people that they took the land from retained mineral rights and the right to run cattle, and their estates will regain control of the land if the reservoirs are ever closed.There were some big court cases in the 40's on this.

• 1 year later...

I have enjoyed reading these threads. I have been researching the many abandoned roads and settlements inside the Addicks and Barker Reservoirs for the past few years. In short, a lot of evidence of human settlement was left behind after the creation of the Addicks and Barker dams in the 1940's. Most of these were early 20th century residential properties, such as farms, cemeteries, church sites, and the like. There was also a simple network of basic roads throughout both reservoirs. Most of those located within Addicks Reservoir have been maintained, widened, and kept in service, such as Clay, Patterson, Addicks-Fairbanks, and Groeschke. However, the ones in Barker Reservoir have largely been abandoned.

Noble Road (now a hiking trail), Beeler Rd., Addicks Clodine, and Barker Clodine have been reclaimed by nature. Barker Clodine was turned into a bike trail some time ago, but according to early aerial photographs, it too was once a fully functional road, much like Addicks Howell. I think Noble and Beeler Roads were always gravel, as there seems to be no evidence of any pavement having existed on their paths.

I have yet to explore Lamb Road, mainly because I was waiting for winter of 2011 to kill off some of the tree growth and get the wasps and other critters into hiding, but just as soon as the time was ripe, we started getting heavy rains again, which made it difficult to explore within the reservoir. I would like to go and see all this crap that's been discarded along Lamb Road. Old road maps actually labeled it, but then the labels disappeared from newer maps. All I could gather was that it used to be someone's farm, and like most of the residents within the reservoir, they had to pack up and move their operations when the government decided their land would best be used as a flood basin.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I am researching information on a serial killer in the early 1970's that killed females wearing purple and buried many of them near Addicks Dam. Any information would be helpful. Several of us that grew up in Spring Branch were terrified to wear purple, but oddly I cannot find anything on the web. Thanks!

Maybe you're not looking in the right places. I just Googled "serial killer, addicks dam". This is what turned up.

http://www.officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?t=53

It turns out A LOT of young women and girls were murdered in and around Houston in the 1970s, and some of their bodies were found near the Addicks Dam.

And there is this website:

http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/usm295281.html

• The title was changed to Addicks Reservoir Mystery Road And Cross

Archived