Need An Apartment To Rent

Hello everyone,

Well the time is near for me to finish my time here in College Station. I want to start looking for a place for my family to live (starting with a rental, of course). I want to live inside (or near) the Loop in an apartment/townhouse/duplex/condo and it has to be at least 2 bedrooms. I've been looking through Chronicle classifieds and have found some prices that were better than I imagined, but does anyone have any more sources? I'm looking to spend less than or equal to $800 a month and I prefer the Heights area--easier for my wife to get to her job in NW and just a nicer area, IMO. However, I also like the Museum District, Meyerland, Bellaire, West U. and places like that.

My wife and my mother-in-law both really don't like Houston, but I personally think that it's due to where they live (basically Jersey Village). No knocks against JV, but I think that it lacks the things that they like--the ability to walk to more places, the bigger and older trees, etc. Plus, my wife is in the Museum District almost weekly with the baby at the museums and the zoo and when the family *really* wants to go eat somewhere, they go in or around 610. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but I need a nice place at a decent price to convince my wife that a move inside or near 610 would be a good one. Who knows, maybe they'll start to realize that Houston is a great town that they really never took the time to fully realize.

Yeah, use the greensheets. You have to go into or near the loop to get the one specified for that area.

Hope everything goes well.

The greensheets will have lots of listings that typically don't show up on apartment lookup websites. Especially house rentals.

Yeah, use the greensheets.  You have to go into or near the loop to get the one specified for that area.

Hope everything goes well.

The greensheets will have lots of listings that typically don't show up on apartment lookup websites.  Especially house rentals.

Kudos on the Greensheets.

I looked online just now and I am amazed at the number of affordable inner loop places available. Now I just have to take the time to see them.

Thanks again to everyone for the tips!

please give har.com a try. this site is especially helpful if you want to narrow down your area and most important to avoid certain areas. example, in the greensheet condo's called "galleria" can be as far away as richmond/gessner or across 59 on gulfton! some med center listings end up being next to the astrodome, i think you get the point. also, you can browse before even speaking to anyone on the phone which saves time and energy especially when you call on one and it's already taken. the har listings show up as "available or option pending" which means someone beat you to it. most places listed also have photo's which help give you a real feel for the place. if you're planning to rent you will not have to be concerned with maint. fees and special assessments, although many of the better rentals are handled through real estate agents and you will have to make contact with them. most list their cell phones and e-mails, as well as office numbers which makes them very accessible. it also helps to have a key map to navigate your preferred areas. i have not had to move in a long time, but a couple of years ago had friends relocate here for medical treatment and found har to be quite helpful. i wish you well on your move!

deb martin

One thing to watch on the greensheet is a lot of the ads are locator ads. Nothing wrong with using a locator, but the really interesting places such as old duplexes, etc are not in their "stable" of properties. (if places like that appeal to you).

It seems like the best deals are the ones where someone just sticks a sign in the yard. Sometimes a little cruising around is still the best way to find something if you want to be close to the museums.