Another Big Step For Big Brother?

proposed transportation bill

Please correct if I'm wrong, but does this actually propose that the toll tag in our cars can be used to identify whether we have liability insurance on our cars? If we don't have liability coverage up to date, the fine is an automatic $250.00, and the burden of proof is on the car's owner? Is this really what this is proposing?

According to DPS estimates, more than 20 percent of Texas drivers carry no insurance while operating vehicles on state roads. This high number of uninsured motorists ends up hurting the wallets of those with insurance; according to the Texas Department of Insurance, Texans paid approximately $861 million in premiums relating to uninsured motorist coverage in 2003.

proposed transportation bill

Please correct if I'm wrong, but does this actually propose that the toll tag in our cars can be used to identify whether we have liability insurance on our cars? If we don't have liability coverage up to date, the fine is an automatic $250.00, and the burden of proof is on the car's owner? Is this really what this is proposing?

I'm all for 100% zero tolerance enforcement of liability insurance laws. Here's how I would build the system....all cars are required to have a tag (RFID or some such). If a car doesn't have a scannable tag, it is pulled over and impounded. If you do have a tag, and its cross reference has no associated insurance information, you have 2 weeks to go get it (or notify the state that there is a problem) and if not, then the next time you clear a scanner, your car is impounded.....nevermind farting around with fines....most of the folks that are driving around with no insurance aren't the type of people that will pay fines anyway.

As it is now, counterfeit insurance cards are rampant, as are policies that people can get for 1 month when they need insurance for registration renewal, or other events....and that costs everybody who actually pays for insurance money.

As much as I don't like devices like EZ Tag for monitoring activities, I have one.

Currently EZ Tag can be used to identify a cars location on any Houston Freeway or other Texan Freeway that has readers. Transtar in Houston use EZ Tags to estimate travel times on freeways to post to the signs along the freeway. This is how the system is so fast. The only problem is that if no one passes through the freeway section with EZ Tags the system will just used the previous travel calculations. But this is not often a problem in Houston.

The EZ Tag just has the kind of information your credit card has. The powerful piece of the puzzle is the database on the servers for HCTRA or Transtar. Currently they can track a cars movement through the city with an EZ Tag. It's all recorded. HCTRA or Transtar or both would just have to have access to databases with the insurance information to be able to catch them.

Anothe problem I see is that most of the irresponsible drivers who don't have insurance don't have EZ Tag also.

I remember Louisiana use to have Insurance check points set up randomly throughout the state. If you are in a Louisiana registered car and don't have insurance your car is impounded. You can only get the car out by getting insurance and maintaining it.

The biggest issue is the potential abuse of such a system. Currently they seem to handling it correctly. The one thing I don't want to happen is to have the State force drivers to get EZ Tag like responders. The main reason is that people on the west coast are proposing ideas like taxing drivers by the length they drive. California saw a drop in gasoline taxes because one they are high and two people overthere are driving more efficient cars. The responders will transmit the length of trips to determing the amount of taxes you'll have to pay. This is a ridiculous concept of trying to get at people's money by the government.