Chin Won Closing In The Cinco Ranch/Katy Area

Mr. B

Well another good mom & pop bit the dust in the resturant death zone as Chin Won has closed its doors.

Don't know much about it as we were there just about a week and half ago before leaving on vacation and talked to Harry

the owner and the rest of the staff. No one said anything. We came back tonight to go get some food and the place is closed for lease.

Everything looks to still be inside so not sure what happened but I know they were not getting any business aside from take out even

with heavy advertising and excellent food people were still not going. Ah well that is about par for around here. They made it a bit more than

2 years.

Shame very nice people and really good food.

Another loss for the Cinco Ranch/Katy Area.

If anyone has heard what happened or information I would be interested to find out as we knew the owners very well but this was out of

the blue.

Well another good mom & pop bit the dust in the resturant death zone as Chin Won has closed its doors.

Don't know much about it as we were there just about a week and half ago before leaving on vacation and talked to Harry

the owner and the rest of the staff. No one said anything. We came back tonight to go get some food and the place is closed for lease.

Everything looks to still be inside so not sure what happened but I know they were not getting any business aside from take out even

with heavy advertising and excellent food people were still not going. Ah well that is about par for around here. They made it a bit more than

2 years.

Shame very nice people and really good food.

Another loss for the Cinco Ranch/Katy Area.

If anyone has heard what happened or information I would be interested to find out as we knew the owners very well but this was out of

the blue.

I ordered take out twice from Chin Won's based on good reviews (still trying to find something as good as China Doll in Harvey - still haven't), and though I was there at dinner time, the place was empty and I wondered how long they would actually be in business. Funny, I lived in Merrywood Apts nearby for a year and a half while trying to decide where to buy, and I didn't know the place existed.

MMMMM China Doll.

I think location was a big killer for Chin Won. They did a brisk business after they opened up 2 or 3 years ago. But when the BOA and other

went up in front things eventually started to decline. Sure like all places many liked and many didn't having another favorite. In talking to the

owners awhile back I think they realized things were not good as Harry mentioned that since the buildings had gone up in front new business

had dropped dramatically. They put magazine ads and coupons but don't think any of it helped. They used to have a resturant in El Campo

but sold it to come to Katy. Not sure where they have gone to now

Have to go in search of new resturant as quite a few have popped up in the past few years.

Then again I could just dive back into learning how to cook it myself but it was just a lot easier going to the local joint.

• 3 weeks later...

You can add Azzerelli's to the list of resturants that have died a quick death in the Katy Resturant graveyard.

If you not a major chain save your money cause chances are you will fail.

I did see Azzerelli's had a new place going up over on park ten area but the one in Villagio has a notice that its closed due to failure to pay rent.

Well things are looking better for my waistline as soon we won't have any resturants to eat at in Katy except the Chili's, ect and I don't frequent those to much.

The Gymboree/Soccor mom generation is in the lead.

Bring on Chedder's

You can add Azzerelli's to the list of resturants that have died a quick death in the Katy Resturant graveyard.

If you not a major chain save your money cause chances are you will fail.

I did see Azzerelli's had a new place going up over on park ten area but the one in Villagio has a notice that its closed due to failure to pay rent.

Well things are looking better for my waistline as soon we won't have any resturants to eat at in Katy except the Chili's, ect and I don't frequent those to much.

The Gymboree/Soccor mom generation is in the lead.

Bring on Chedder's

Coming from N.O. where most restaurants are locally owned, I don't understand the lack of support. I hear people complaining about the lack of restaurants in the newly developed areas of Katy, and when a good restaurant like Azzarelli's comes along - they still flock to Chili's. I have two friends who are thinking of opening up small restaurants in Katy and although two years ago I would have said "build it and they will come", today I tell them to look somewhere else.

I think that one of the reasons that many of these places are failing is the lack of history. In N.O. you knew about restaurants because your parents brought you there and their parents probably brought them there. Much of Katy is newly developed - new residents, new residents, no word-of-mouth. Coupled with lack of advertising (perhaps they are sending out flyers, but I know that I am too busy to look through them, so I don't consider mail a good way to spend advertising dollars). I bet residents would be surprised if you showed them a list of new restaurants that have opened in the last year. As good as Azzarelli's is, I know there are many in Katy who didn't even know it was here.

Perhaps a food festival a couple of times a year, where new (and old) restaurants can sell some of their best dishes. Works in Louisiana :-)

With the failure rate of new restaurants, it won't be long before the only people who will be willing to set up shop in Katy are the national chains. :-(

Coming from N.O. where most restaurants are locally owned, I don't understand the lack of support. I hear people complaining about the lack of restaurants in the newly developed areas of Katy, and when a good restaurant like Azzarelli's comes along - they still flock to Chili's. I have two friends who are thinking of opening up small restaurants in Katy and although two years ago I would have said "build it and they will come", today I tell them to look somewhere else.

I think that one of the reasons that many of these places are failing is the lack of history. In N.O. you knew about restaurants because your parents brought you there and their parents probably brought them there. Much of Katy is newly developed - new residents, new residents, no word-of-mouth. Coupled with lack of advertising (perhaps they are sending out flyers, but I know that I am too busy to look through them, so I don't consider mail a good way to spend advertising dollars). I bet residents would be surprised if you showed them a list of new restaurants that have opened in the last year. As good as Azzarelli's is, I know there are many in Katy who didn't even know it was here.

Perhaps a food festival a couple of times a year, where new (and old) restaurants can sell some of their best dishes. Works in Louisiana :-)

With the failure rate of new restaurants, it won't be long before the only people who will be willing to set up shop in Katy are the national chains. :-(

I really wasn't that impressed by Azzarelli's. I thought that their food was ok, but wasn't good enough to justify the prices or to distinguish it as a "high end" restaurant. Other than that, I agree with you. I don't think that there is enough going on to generate interest in the restaurants that do exist. Most of them are tucked into strip malls and can only be seen if you happen to drive by them.

I agree with LivinCinco. Although I want to see more mom & pop places succeed, but those that failed just weren't good enough. I also went to Azzarelli once and didn't like the food. Are we supposed to open our wallets to support them just because they are locally owned? There are many successfully restaurants like La Finca and SushiHana that continue to drive in customers because they have great food. The economy is bad, being mediocre is not going to keep you in business.

I really wasn't that impressed by Azzarelli's. I thought that their food was ok, but wasn't good enough to justify the prices or to distinguish it as a "high end" restaurant. Other than that, I agree with you. I don't think that there is enough going on to generate interest in the restaurants that do exist. Most of them are tucked into strip malls and can only be seen if you happen to drive by them.

I may be wrong but I think La Finca closed a long time ago or at least the one I knew of on Mason. I wouldn't call any of the Mexican places around here fantastic but they are pretty good. Some are better at things than others.

As for Azzereli's never ate there as not my kind of food so can't say if good or not. I have noticed the crowds at the Cochina Mediterainian place on Mason and Westheimer Parkway has all but died out lately. Wonder how long they will be open.

We were by Johnny Rockets the other day and they have even changed things. The atmosphere is all gone there now as you just go up and order at the counter, get your own drinks, but they at least bring you your food. Can't say I blame them though the place was empty.

Well so far Rocco's is still hanging in there for some good italian food.

I think CLA is right as location may be a killer to some of these places. I know for Chin Won once they opened up the BOA and Panda Express which basically hid them from view of any new business things dropped drastically for them. Heck we are still searching for a new Chinese Resturant to replace them. Anyone got any good suggestions for nearby Cinco Ranch area ?

CLA you are also right with your insight on South Louisiana Resturants. They are frequented by generation after generation of the same families. I should know my family did and I still do when I am back home.

La Finca moved to Westheimer and Commercial center blvd (the plaza next to Super Target in Cinco Ranch). They were doing very good business when I went there a month ago. Give the a try

I may be wrong but I think La Finca closed a long time ago or at least the one I knew of on Mason. I wouldn't call any of the Mexican places around here fantastic but they are pretty good. Some are better at things than others.

As for Azzereli's never ate there as not my kind of food so can't say if good or not. I have noticed the crowds at the Cochina Mediterainian place on Mason and Westheimer Parkway has all but died out lately. Wonder how long they will be open.

We were by Johnny Rockets the other day and they have even changed things. The atmosphere is all gone there now as you just go up and order at the counter, get your own drinks, but they at least bring you your food. Can't say I blame them though the place was empty.

Well so far Rocco's is still hanging in there for some good italian food.

I think CLA is right as location may be a killer to some of these places. I know for Chin Won once they opened up the BOA and Panda Express which basically hid them from view of any new business things dropped drastically for them. Heck we are still searching for a new Chinese Resturant to replace them. Anyone got any good suggestions for nearby Cinco Ranch area ?

CLA you are also right with your insight on South Louisiana Resturants. They are frequented by generation after generation of the same families. I should know my family did and I still do when I am back home.

I was on b4-u-eat.com and Azzarelli's is listed as "Temporarily closed"

Azzarelli's actually has good reviews on b4-u-eat.com and although I hadn't visited, friends and coworkers who had been there enjoyed it. One restaurant that I plan on trying this very soon is Twisted Fig, which I have heard great things about.

As for trying to find a replacement for Chin Won, one of my co-workers suggested Fortune Village and another suggested Orient Cafe, both on Grand Pkwy (Orient Cafe also has another location at S Fry and I-10, I believe). Yet another eats at Golden Stix, in front of HEB. After looking at the reviews on b4-u-eat.com, I think I will try Fortune Village first (maybe even take out today). Any experience with any of these, Mr B? (I recall eating fried rice at Golden Stix a couple of years ago, but don't remember if I enjoyed it or not)

I also noticed that there is a new restaurant opening in January, Catfish Mike's on Applewhite Dr near Mason and I-10. All you can eat fried catfish on Friday's, gumbo and dirty rice. We will see.

Edited by cla

I was on b4-u-eat.com and Azzarelli's is listed as "Temporarily closed"

Azzarelli's actually has good reviews on b4-u-eat.com and although I hadn't visited, friends and coworkers who had been there enjoyed it. One restaurant that I plan on trying this very soon is Twisted Fig, which I have heard great things about.

As for trying to find a replacement for Chin Won, one of my co-workers suggested Fortune Village and another suggested Orient Cafe, both on Grand Pkwy (Orient Cafe also has another location at S Fry and I-10, I believe). Yet another eats at Golden Stix, in front of HEB. After looking at the reviews on b4-u-eat.com, I think I will try Fortune Village first (maybe even take out today). Any experience with any of these, Mr B? (I recall eating fried rice at Golden Stix a couple of years ago, but don't remember if I enjoyed it or not)

I also noticed that there is a new restaurant opening in January, Catfish Mike's on Applewhite Dr near Mason and I-10. All you can eat fried catfish on Friday's, gumbo and dirty rice. We will see.

The word that I heard on Azzarelli's was that they were locked out by the landlord due to non-payment of rent. Looking through the window, it looks like everything is still in place, so it's quite possible that they could re-open.

I usually end up at China Wall (in the Target center on Westheimer) for Chinese. The food is good, but it's really take out only.

Tried Orient Cafe and didn't care for it.

My neighbors swear by Fortune Village so will have to go in and try out a couple of dishes. I haven't tried the HB Steakhouse here but the one by my office everyone likes. Thing is I got family that is not patient enough to do the HB routine.

I don't do Gumbo from any of the resturants here and probably won't start with them but I could definatly do some all you can eat Catfish if its fried right with maybe some hushpuppies and slaw.

Tried Orient Cafe and didn't care for it.

My neighbors swear by Fortune Village so will have to go in and try out a couple of dishes. I haven't tried the HB Steakhouse here but the one by my office everyone likes. Thing is I got family that is not patient enough to do the HB routine.

I don't do Gumbo from any of the resturants here and probably won't start with them but I could definatly do some all you can eat Catfish if its fried right with maybe some hushpuppies and slaw.

Gumbo is best from your own kitchen. My daughter hates leftovers, but can eat my red beans and rice or gumbo every day (in fact, I cooked a pot of chicken and sausage gumbo for Christmas and she asked for it every day until it was all gone) - but she won't order gumbo or beans from any restaurant.

Fortune Village was tasty. I got excited as I saw orders being brought out to the tables around me - everything looked good - not buried in a generic-looking brown sauce that I have seen at so many of the chinese places that I have tried.

My daughter and I used to be able to share a lunch portion from C.D., but there was no way we could have shared a lunch from F.V. Except for maybe the General Tso's chicken. The Kung Pao chicken was good - never saw chicken sliced so thin before, but next time I order, I will ask them to go easy on the peanuts. The shrimp with szechuan sauce was also good, but not share-able with only 6 shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...
Kung Pow Chicken was very good as was the lo mien noodles.

Will try some other dishes on future visits.

I tried the combination lo mein and it was so-so - that was one of my favorite dishes at China Doll, so my expectations were very high.

• The title was changed to Chin Won Closing In The Cinco Ranch/Katy Area