Rankings For Liveability?

I was wondering what sources have deemed Houston, or a Houston suburb as one of North America's most liveable cities?

I was looking for threads in the Sugarlands and Woodlands/Conroe forum and I guess they got pruned. :(

The problem with these libeability surveys is that they come out from fix or six different firms several times a year. They always conflict with each other because of their varying methodology and motivation. People really shouldn't put that much faith in them, but they do. I remember driving through Iowa a few years ago and seeing five or six signs in small towns that all had different signs saying "Most Livable City" with varying years. I guess it's fine for small town mid-America, but certainly Houston should have something better to hang its hat on.

As I recall, a few years ago Texas City was named "most livable" or "family friendliest" or one of those vaguely reassuring terms.

Apparently, safety issues with the petrochemical industries located there were not factored in...

Guest danax

I'm waiting for a survey now that will show Houston to be one of the most liveable big cities. We just were determined by one to be the 2nd lowest in crime, 15th lowest in traffic and, with our very affordable housing and good weather (ok, to me at least), and a good, diverse economy, superior medical facilities and top-notch museums and theatre, I don't see how we could be anything but highly ranked.

As much as these surveys might be poo-pooed, everyone either reads about them or hears about them each year so a top ranking for a couple of years straight would do tons more for our reputation than 50 super bowls.

Until then, the old version of being a mosquito-infested, sprawling, strip-club laden, overgrown, bubba-based backwater hell hole will prevail.

Actually I think those surveys are just trying to punish conservative cities. Isn't it fishy that only Vancouver seems good enough these days?

Also, you won't find one well known conservative city on many of those lists.

But that is just my flawed rant. Gimme a few days to develop it, since it is brand new from me.

Archived