El Gallo de Jalisco

Stopped in at El Gallo de Jalisco earlier today and tried their tacos. If you're a fan of smaller taco-truck-style tacos, you should try the place. We tried a beef fajita taco, a barbacoa taco, and an egg/nopales taco - all were good. Especially at $1.50/taco. They had Mexican coke as well.

The interior of the restaurant is cheery and bigger than I imagined, and there are 6 or so tables inside in addition to the tables on the front porch. I think they've got a great location there in the little triangle formed by White Oak, Columbia, and the rail right-of-way (soon to be bike trail). While they can't serve alcohol, I can see people on the bike trail stopping in for a raspa*, coke, or taco. I've noticed that there really aren't that many businesses along the bike trail period, and this is the only one I can think of that I can imagine getting incidental business from bikers.

*Speaking of raspas, has anyone tried Mango Beach yet, over by Stude Park?

3087101853_e0183d2102.jpg

3087938846_1974a3da00.jpg

3087102763_b52dd2169c.jpg

3087102319_a3ce3935c7.jpg

Saw my post was moved, so I should clarify:

This restaurant is a small neighborhood taqueria. I had posted in the Heights subforum because I was recommending it to people in the Heights (who might not have tried it because it has odd hours (I think 7am-5pm M-Sat, 7am-3pm Sun)), not to Houstonians at large. Whatever part of town you're in, I'm guessing you've got a taco truck or taco stand that is no better or worse than El Gallo, but is more convenient. Nothing against El Gallo, which is a great local spot, but I didn't mean to suggest that people should be trekking across the city to try their tacos.

might have to walk over there and check out there breakfast tacos this weekend.

The chorizo and egg breakfast taco is what I'm trying next.

I don't really get their schedule. If they were open just an hour later, I'd think they'd do a pretty good dinner take-out business.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived