Google SketchUp as a job skill

I recently came in from working in the field land surveying for the last ten years or so due to a bad ankle and am currently a low level drafting helper. All I have is good on the job training and am holding my own. I do foresee an impending layoff within the near future and was trying to think of how to increase my value when the time comes to try and find another cad job (hopefully). I was wondering about Google SketchUp and whether it was used in any kind of capacity in industry and if it would be worthwhile to play with and learn just for the introduction to 3d since it's free and easily available. I was thinking GSU was a valuable tool than I could start working with it in my spare time.

I recently came in from working in the field land surveying for the last ten years or so due to a bad ankle and am currently a low level drafting helper. All I have is good on the job training and am holding my own. I do foresee an impending layoff within the near future and was trying to think of how to increase my value when the time comes to try and find another cad job (hopefully). I was wondering about Google SketchUp and whether it was used in any kind of capacity in industry and if it would be worthwhile to play with and learn just for the introduction to 3d since it's free and easily available. I was thinking GSU was a valuable tool than I could start working with it in my spare time.

If you looked for a cad job in architecture.. yes.. learning sketchup would be very valuable. Any other field though - surveying, engineering.. prolly not so much.

But as you said, there is a free version... and most people that use sketchup professionally today are self-taught... so if you have the free time... it certainly couldn't hurt.

?

Your already working with CAD, do 3d on it.

If your looking to expand your resume, learn something more industry related like Rivet, Maya, some other animation software. Expanding into other fields would be keen. Learn Flash or Dreamweaver for web development (they always wanna update their websites, kinda wish I had the motivation myself).

Archived