Architecture School?

Guest KOKON Steel

Guest KOKON Steel

Hi, I am thinking about starting architecture shool next fall but I am unsure if I am qualified. I'm Ok in math but there are some that are better than me. I had difficulty in Calculus 3 but I usually win every year at the Science Fair. I would say my strengths are that the Sciences- Biology and Chemistry. My grandfather was an engineer on bridge projects and he says its similar to engineering. Is this true? Is this good enough? I only know a few famous architects- like Donald Trump, Leonardo da Vinci, and Gerald Hines here in Houston.

Can someone please help me- what should I do to prepare? Are there any architects here?

Guest KOKON Steel

Oh, I forgot Tilman Fertita and Tony Vallone, two of my favorite local architects.

Im really good at AUTOCAD too. I draft stuff all the time, so architecture school should be a breeze. Maybe I can skip school and just pass those fruity little tests??

I dunno... let me know!

- Steel, KOK

Guest KOKON Steel

Shut up Lowbrow, I know for a fact that architects eat at Taco Bell and Pizza Hut. I mean Pizza hut is the name of a type of building, isn't it. Sorry that I do not have as high of a dinning budget and criteria as you. I am just a struggling student who makes 6.75 an hour at Payless Shoe Source near the mall.

I was only asking because my HS counseleor suggestetd that I take extra math classes at the local community college if I want to be an Architect.

If there are any polite people here who care to help me out it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone not named Lowbrow

the Steel K.

P.S. Lowbrow- are YOU even an architect that you know so much?

Guest KOKON Steel

oh sorry sir, i did forget to take my pills today. I was just trying to figure out if UH has a program or not. My friends said dont go to cooger high but to go texas a and m because a and m has a very goood accredited school of architecture.

im good at math and cad and i want to ge ta degree in something where ill make a looot of money when i graduatee just like architects do in all those movies and stuff.

Thanks

KOKON

KOKON, the fact that you are asking others whether or not to pursue architecture makes me wonder if you will be dedicated to it. It is a very rigorous and demanding course. I wouldnt say it has much to deal with biology but more math and physics persay. However, it is HUGELY based on your creativity and uniqueness...if you can bring something new to the table then architecture would be a field for you.

Can't tell if this is a joke or not, but here is my answer.

U of H has an awsome Architecture program. They are mainly focused on creating designers, so no, you do not need to have an extensive mathematics background. I would say that U of H and Rice are similar . . . spitting out good (i.e. trendy) designers, but little knowledge in creating construction documents. Whereas A & M and UT teach their kids how to prepare documents, but their designs are lacking.

Be prepared for grueling hours at school (I once did 38 hours without sleep). . . and that doesn't change much once you're out of school. 1st year architecture school has an extremely high atrition rate. You'll find out quickly if you're cut out for this kind of stuff.

Be prepared for grueling hours at school (I once did 38 hours without sleep). . . and that doesn't change much once you're out of school. 1st year architecture school has an extremely high atrition rate. You'll find out quickly if you're cut out for this kind of stuff.

Why is it that Architecture school has such grueling hours. 38 hours in a row without rest is rediculous. I remember a few friends in College who would spend a week straight at the lab working on drawings. I know there is a lot of technical know how, but I never understood why it is so demanding.

Another question, is school easier or harder nowadays with the high usage of CAD.

Why is it that Architecture school has such grueling hours.    38 hours in a row without rest is rediculous.  I remember a few friends in College who would spend a week straight at the lab working on drawings.    I know there is a lot of technical know how, but I never understood why it is so demanding. 

Another question, is school easier or harder nowadays with the high usage of CAD.

CAD is more of a tool of execution, in my opinion. The time in design studio is spent in concept development -- 3D models to try to figure out spacial arrangements, and yes, some drawing. I guess CAD would speed a lot of that along if someone were very organized in his concept development and merely needed a quick way to get it into presentation order.

I spent three years at UH Architecture, before a family emergency forced me to leave school for a semester. When I came back and found my support group was now a year ahead of me, I realized how important they were to dealing with the long hours. So, I ended up graduating with another degree.

35-60 hours per week was the norm for my studio (5 credit hour) class alone. Somehow, we all also managed to fit in core classes, Architectural Systems classes, history, math, etc. I even had a job. Looking back, I really can't say how I made it all work. I guess I just loved it.

35-60 hours per week was the norm for my studio (5 credit hour) class alone. Somehow, we all also managed to fit in core classes, Architectural Systems classes, history, math, etc. I even had a job. Looking back, I really can't say how I made it all work. I guess I just loved it.

You pretty much nailed it right there. The fact you loved it made it bearable for you. Too bad you could not finish it up. Are you involved with architecture these days (besides this board of course).

Once I got a little training, I realized that much of architecture these days is "preparing construction documents" for tilt-wall big boxes, chicken finger restaurants and, if you're really lucky and work your way up -- the odd beige, windowless highrise condo. I got disillusioned and the job market was tanking anyway.

So if architecture is about preparing construction documents, and if (as Midtown 4.2 says) U of H prepares designers with little knowledge in creating construction documents, then do graduates of such schools just sort of pick it up on the fly once they get out into the job market? Or do most of them end up doing things not related to architecture once they graduate? Just wondering.

Also, what do you guys know about European architecture schools? I'm told that they are very ideas and theory-oriented. If schools like Rice and U of H tend not to focus so much on the practical (which is the impression I've gotten from the posts on this thread as well as the schools' web sites) then European schools must be waaay out in left field.

So if architecture is about preparing construction documents, and if (as Midtown 4.2 says) U of H prepares designers with little knowledge in creating construction documents, then do graduates of such schools just sort of pick it up on the fly once they get out into the job market?