U.S. Debt

Jeebus

From this thread..

Kind of scary but we already owe China $350 billion.

link

Per this link it was 585 billion as of September this year.

My question: How is the amount of new U.S. money that is printed every year determined? Once I get that answer, it will help better form my opinion on China holding 600 billion worth of our treasury I.O.U.'s.

From this thread..

Per this link it was 585 billion as of September this year.

My question: How is the amount of new U.S. money that is printed every year determined? Once I get that answer, it will help better form my opinion on China holding 600 billion worth of our treasury I.O.U.'s.

We print however much we need. Most of our money is just numbers in ledgers, loans from the Federal Reserve to big banks, which get amplified by loans to smaller banks, down a pyramid of hopes and dreams to individual citizens, who carry some paper in their wallets just to make it easier to buy gum. There are folks at the Treasury who calculate how much cash to print, but it has nothing to do with IOUs to China.

We print however much we need. There are folks at the Treasury who calculate how much cash to print, but it has nothing to do with IOUs to China.

I agree with you but I was hoping to have it explained in more detail.

To me, it just seems like Treasury notes sold to the lowest bidder are the biggest scam around. What am I missing?

I agree with you but I was hoping to have it explained in more detail.

To me, it just seems like Treasury notes sold to the lowest bidder are the biggest scam around. What am I missing?

What are you talking about? And what does it have to do with printing cash?

Archived