Hurricane Ike's Effect On San Leon

Vertigo58

Yesterday was the perfect day to see for oursleves what happened to San Leon. We did cruise through the other side of Kemah where the cozy little beach homes are all along that winding drive. It never occured to me to take "before" photos but now only memory will have to work. There are many homes missing , wiped clean inland or out to see. Only poles or slabs remain. Piles of furniture and everything imaginable. Some of the homes are split right in the middle and seperated apart as if done by huge hands. There are several with only the 3 level balconies standing and no home. One of my all time favs was a Spanish/Mediterranean style hacienda beach home of terra cotta color with a church theme, bells and vases imbedded in the walls, all stripped to the frame. Only half the garden walls tilt.

Not even driven to San Leon yet.

We had been going to the spillway since we were children and it was just considered a tiny fishing village for years. San Leon still maintains that seaside village feel although most of it now is eerily vacant. As you drive straight in all the way until you finally meet the sea. Its bizarre. The streets have been cleared as best as possible but on both sides of the roads are piles and piles and piles of remnants of peoples lives. The water had to have been over 4 feet above where we were driving since there are boats and 40 to 80 foot barge containers in peoples yards. It honestly looks as if a tidal wave came in and went back out. If anyone was brave enough to spend the night here, they need to have their heads examined. I will take a camera next time and will post.

Local media (again) did not do much coverage of this seaside village. You have to see it to believe it. Some the tallest trees have aluminum sheets or metal wrapped around them and well.... pics soon, I hope.

Many of these homes are now on ground level as they were knocked of the foundations. Erosian ate away at the edge so it seems large white boulders or concrete has been placed for now, until next storm. Kind of bizarre seeing a barge beached just 2 ft from a wrecked house. :mellow:

• 2 months later...

I had an uncle that had a water front home in San Leon before Hurricane Carla (1961). His place was washed completely away, including the land. (Although most of his pier somehow survived and remained, unreachable and abandoned, out in the water for several more years). The road eventually washed away and he never reclaimed his property. The people across the street from him then became the water front property owners. History will, and did, repeat itself with Hurricane Ike.

• The title was changed to Hurricane Ike's Effect On San Leon

Archived