For Sale: Exotic yet tiny MP3/MP4 player/recorder

editor

I'm offering this for sale here for a week, and if there are no takers, I'll post it on eBay.

gallery_1_65_294290.jpg

This is a Sage brand MP4 player. Most Americans aren't familiar with MP4 players -- they're tiny MP3 players sold in China and several of the less-developed Asian nations. The reason they're called "MP4" is because in addition to music, they also play video. The little critters are extremely popular in China since it wasn't until recently that iPods became available, and they're still not ubiquitous. I bought this one in a tiny shop in Kowloon, across the harbor from Hong Kong.

This particular MP4 player is super tiny -- just 2.25 inches long, 1.25 inches tall, and less than .5 inches deep. It has 256 megs of storage.

Along the top are the buttons: Play/Pause, Mode, Record, (Microphone), Volume, Forward, Back.

On the bottom is a micro USB port and a standard headphone jack.

MP4 players usually have a lot more features than the average American MP3 player. This one's main menu has:

• Music/Video playback (for playing MP3's or MP4 videos)
  • Voice Recorder (for recording sound with the built-in microphone)
  • Voice Recorder playback
  • FM Radio (can also record from the radio to WAVs)
  • Photos (display a slide show of JPEGs)
  • E-Book (display text documents)
  • Settings

The screen is a very bright and crisp full-color 96x64 OLED display measuring .8 inches by .6 inches. It comes with a USB cable that also charges it.

A few tips: To turn it on or off, hold down the Play button. Navigate the menus with the right and left arrow buttons. Select with the Mode button.

To get music, video, text, or image files onto the player, just plug it into your computer (it shows up like a regular USB drive) and drag the files on.

Note that although Chinese MP4 players play standard music MP3's just fine, they do not play back the sort of American MP4 video files that you would get from Quicktime or Windows Media. They have their own codec and require their own programs to convert video files into a format that the MP4 player can display. Free converter software is very easy to find on the internet, just search for "MP4 Player." This MP4 player plays back .mtv video files.

That's the big reason I'm no longer interested in this gadget. I mostly used it for the radio feature because I have a Mac, and the software to convert the videos only works under Windows. I did a couple of movies using Virtual PC on my Mac, but it was a nuisance that way.

Anyway, I'm asking $20 for it, plus $5 shipping. It's super small and super cool, and you or your kid will be the coolest on the block for having this piece of exotic tech.

gallery_1_65_59230.jpg

Archived