Blackberry security question

A friend of mine is trying to decide whether to get a Blackberry or a thumb drive so she can have her files with her at all times. She works for a small non-profit and spends her time shuttling between other even smaller non-profits.

A laptop would be an ideal solution, but none of the agencies wants to pay for it since none of them will see the benefits of it full-time.

The complication is that the files she drags around with her are HIPPA sensitive, so she needs encryption. I know the Blackberry is capable of encryption, but I'm not exactly sure how.

I've seen information that you can just push a couple of menu buttons and encrypt the files on a Blackberry's memory card.

But I've also seen information that this has to be allowed and configured by the IT department. Her group has a very small IT department, and certainly no Blackberry server. So is the encryption something she can do on her own, or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks. I'll let her know about that. I think one of the complications is that on at least one of the computers she works with she may not be able to install software. That's one of the reasons I was rooting for the secure flash drive. But her clients might make an exception for something as business-like as this.

I think she could download that software on her home computer (she has one?) and put the Truecrypt thingie on her flash drive from there.

That's a good idea. She has a Mac at home, but the other machines she works with are Windows. But as long as she puts both binaries on the flash drive, it should work.

Archived