Houston Safest City In U.s.!

Guest KOKON Steel

If you call my friend getting a gun pulled on him for two bags of groceries and an Andrew Jackson next to the Fiesta on Edgebrook (in broad daylight with people around) safe...then yes, this city must be safe.

I think he would beg to differ. Just my $.02

Steel, KOK

I've lived in San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, and Houston, and you have to watch your back in all those cities. I felt safest in Sacramento, and least safe in Los Angeles. There are parts of Houston I try to stay away from because I'm just not familiar enough with the area. I always feel the need for exit strategy to feel safe and when you're not familiar with it or lost that feeling is gone and that's an unsafe feeling. I feel a little more safe on the West side of town than the East, North or South, but that's probably because I'm more familiar with my neighborhoods.

It's good to hear that Houston is getting some respect though, and maybe just repeating something over and over will help make it more true. I think Houston is the FRIENDLIEST city I've ever lived in, certainly more friendly and courteous than San Francisco where you just pretend you're alone in the world and look straight through everyone you pass on the street. I'm only slightly exaggerating...

But, I've had my car broken into, one of my neighbors shot, another robbed at gunpoint, and another who committed suicide all in the past 5 years. This all happened in the Galleria area (East end of the Richmond Strip).

Jason

Jason

I did notice I could walk around wherever I want! ;)

There aren't many big cities you can live in without having some risk here or there. I think by safest cities they mean "as safe as it can be". I lived in Washington DC and Birmingham, AL and both are in the top ten most dangerous cities.. From what I hear, I'll feel alot more relaxed in Houston (I'm moving to Houston in the summer).. My boyfriend lives in New Orleans which is also in the top ten most dangerous and he can't even go out at night by himself b/c he lives in the French Quarter and he's already been close to being robbed too many times.

Welcome to the forum, Fox.

I feel much the same as Willo. West side and I feel safe just because of my familiarity. I've lived all over and in any big city there is always the potential for crime. Travel abroad and you will think Houston feels as safe as Lake Wobagon. Lagos, Bogota, Port Moresby.... no bueno.