Pearland ISD Now Accepts Out-Of-District Students

Timnwendy

The article at this next link could be very significant to those of you with kids, who live in west Pearland and are not crazy about the Alvin or Fort Bend ISD.

http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2008/09/...er_students.txt

There are a few Pearland schools that won't allow transfer students (see list at bottom of the article), but I suspect that will go away in the years ahead.

So, how will you pay taxes to Pearland ISD?

Out of district people do not pay PISD taxes. The district is doing them a "favor" by taking them in.

Anyway, IMO this is really attractive to people in the Willowridge HS zone of SCR.

I'm not sure this will be as popular with people in the AISD part of SCR as AISD is building schools there.

Maybe PISD could open magnet schools in its district. I wonder when PISD will be ready for a magnet high school...

Some speculation I'm hearing is that Pearland ISD did this to help people in coastal communities that were hit hard by Hurricane Ike. Some of the schools there will be closed for a long time, and all those kids need to be placed somewhere for the remainder of this school year. Makes sense, but others can certainly take advantage too, like those folks on the Fort Bend side of SCR.

Pearland ISD should have tried hard to grab the Fort Bend County portion of SCR. Willowridge HS is not attractive at all now unfortunately.

Alvin ISD may do the same thing.

IMO I think Pearland ISD and Alvin ISD should consolidate into one school district and then have the school district boundaries re-drawn to control all of the Pearland city limits (including the pieces in Houston ISD, Fort Bend ISD, Pasadena ISD, and Clear Creek ISD)

• 3 weeks later...

As a Willowridge grad....the same things you are experiencing in Pearland now has already happened at Willowridge....alot of folks I grew up with who went to Willowridge or grew up in South Park are now in Pearland...once those families grow up and leave, the same thing Willowridge is going through will happen in terms of a population decline...

The school may not be attractive because Fort Bend did some things that wasted alot of money by building schools too close to each other...same thing will happen in Pearland beginning with Dawson (the school of choice for the HISD border jumpers)

As a Willowridge grad....the same things you are experiencing in Pearland now has already happened at Willowridge....alot of folks I grew up with who went to Willowridge or grew up in South Park are now in Pearland...once those families grow up and leave, the same thing Willowridge is going through will happen in terms of a population decline...

The school may not be attractive because Fort Bend did some things that wasted alot of money by building schools too close to each other...same thing will happen in Pearland beginning with Dawson (the school of choice for the HISD border jumpers)

My how things have changed in the land of pears.

at one time, Willowridge was arguably one of the most successful schools in the state as it offered a well-rounded experience from academics, athletics to fine arts...the area became home to alot of first generation families of college graduates so you had alot of kids from solid backgrounds there

Fort Bend gave in to some silly thinking and broke it up overnight...some families moved away while some familes still remain but the kids have grown up and moved to Teal Run, Pearland, etc. As a result, population decline there but you have schools right next door busting at the seams so the trend still continues...

as a school, doubt you'll see one that'll ever reach the national exposure Willowridge did as there are just too many schools now splitting areas up

• The title was changed to Pearland ISD Now Accepts Out-Of-District Students

Archived