Shell roads

Can you still find backroads along the Gulf Coast topped with broken seashells? That used to be quite common.

While I'm on the topic of roads, remember the smudgepots that once marked road hazards or construction areas? I guess the advent of the longer-lasting battery (along with blinking electric lights) spelled their demise.

Most have been replaced by crushed limestone and or crushed concrete ( actually a good recycling use). I remember as a kid there were shell roads everywhere, but they are long gone, replaced by the above products, and the lack of oyster shells since TPWD closed so many of the oyster beds.

Many of the streets in the Heights and West University were originally surfaced with Oyster Shells, as were many driveways and parking lots. Oyster shells were also used as aggregate in concrete during the 1930s. The shells were probably cheaper than gravel, due to Houston's proximity to the Gulf Coast.

Oyster shells are no longer used as a road/parking lot surface, since the dredging of oyster beds has a negative environmental impact.