Blue Tarp Nation II In Katy

Yat Man

My particular section of Katy fared quite well except for a couple of houses in my neighborhood. There were 3 homes in my block and one home around the corner that had roof damage caused when the wind direction changed to the west. All 4 homes were built by the same builder and they're all less than 3 years old. :huh: We're VERY fortunate that the lights went out about 5:00 a.m. and came back on about 12:30 p.m. I knew this hurricane packed a punch but I truly didn't think that Katy would even lose power for long because we were on the west side of the storm and the storm never got back to category 3 strength. Some of my friends and family who live near Mason Road still don't have power. I'm VERY sorry for those west of town that got the brunt of this storm but thankful that it didn't go through between Matagorda and Surfside otherwise we would have gotten hit a lot harder.

My particular section of Katy fared quite well except for a couple of houses in my neighborhood. There were 3 homes in my block and one home around the corner that had roof damage caused when the wind direction changed to the west. All 4 homes were built by the same builder and they're all less than 3 years old. :huh: We're VERY fortunate that the lights went out about 5:00 a.m. and came back on about 12:30 p.m. I knew this hurricane packed a punch but I truly didn't think that Katy would even lose power for long because we were on the west side of the storm and the storm never got back to category 3 strength. Some of my friends and family who live near Mason Road still don't have power. I'm VERY sorry for those west of town that got the brunt of this storm but thankful that it didn't go through between Matagorda and Surfside otherwise we would have gotten hit a lot harder.

Who's the builder with the bad roofing jobs?

It was only one MPH lower than Cat 3 strength.

Who's the builder with the bad roofing jobs?

Village Builders.

I know that the hurricane landed 1 mph below cat 3 but I doubt Katy received sustained hurricane force winds for long. The wind may have had small bursts into the 80 - 90 mph range but Katy was largely spared the brunt of the hurricane. My respect for the destructive power of hurricanes grows each year. I assumed that even with a direct hit on Katy we'd have enough land between us and the coast to knock down the hurricane considerably. Looking at the pictures from the Heights, and inside the loop I'm not as confident. This was a monster of a hurricane in size. If it would have really gotten the wind up to a strong cat 3 or minimal cat 4 then many more places in the direct line and the east side of the storm would have fared far worse. I'm very thankful that I was only mildly inconvenienced and not in any way harmed.

We live in the Falcon Point part of West Houston and had power for much of Ike...crazy thing is, then on Sunday morning (4:30) we lost power when that thunderstorm rolled in...we have been without power since then...I am trying to come up with a long term plan as Centerpoint says they will not be back in our area for at least another week....I guess seeing as there are only 145 homes being affected...yea right...whatever..

Well finally got power back this afternoon.

Something must have really gone wrong on Friday as we lost power at 6 PM. Long before the storm hit, nothing more than a mild breeze when everything went and just now coming back on. Never could get an answer out of Centerpoint as to the reason.

Shocked at how unprepared majority of people around here were. All should be very glad the storm tracked more to the east than expected otherwise many of the people around me and the surrounding area would have been in bad shape. No food, water or anything to last more than a day or two. Most took the idea as we would not lose any services.

Some winds of 80 MPH gusting but nothing sustained for long was a blessing. No damage to anyone other than an eye opener for most at the sheer stupidity. Few folks were even still saying it would turn to Beaumont like Rita up till Friday afternoon.

And to the lady in the convience store on Sunday Evening buying junk food or anything she could get her hands on then saying she had nothing to eat or drink because no one told her or said anything about needing to get supplies for a storm. Very close to smacking her in the back of the head with my Rockstar !!!!

Bleeping Yankee's :lol:

I'm with you on that one, lol...there was more than sufficient coverage by the media for ANYONE to realize they needed to stock up...when it comes to storms in the Gulf, they are just unpredictable...our family has a special area that is set up for this type of thing...we go through it about every 6 months...to keep it fresh....it makes no since to me that people could be so naive in thinking that we (Katy area) would not be affected by it...There were only 4 homes in my subdivision that even bothered to board up....one made a feeble attempt by using painters blue tape on the windows..on the outside, lol....again...I am with you...some people just need a good ole smack on the back of their heads....stop burying your heads in the sand...it could have been worse than it was....on a brighter note...I got power back and am no longer a refugee within my neighborhood, lol....

• The title was changed to Blue Tarp Nation II In Katy