Drivers may soon get a break on booting

infinite_jim

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/5990892.html

By CAROLYN FEIBEL Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Sept. 8, 2008, 11:00PM

The City Council this week will take up a pair of ordinances aimed at regulating parking lots, hoping to bring order to what some critics liken to a Wild West experience in which suburbanites driving in for a ballgame are subject to confusing signs, late-night tows, and, more recently, the arrival of booting companies.

If council approves the new regulations on Wednesday, Houston will join the ranks of other major cities that dictate how parking lot owners can run their lots.

The proposed rules would forbid parking lot operators from towing or booting cars if they do not provide receipts for payment.

The rules could go into effect for downtown lots in six months, then apply citywide after a year.

Complaints to city officials escalated over the past year with the arrival in Houston of an Atlanta-based booting company, Premier Parking Enforcement, said Liliana Rambo, the city's director of parking management.

Unlike towing, the practice of booting

This could be huge for downtown. In my opinion, the problem with the downtown parking situation is not so much booting as it is the limited availability of hourly parking. Currently, most surface lots are set up to charge daily parking rates only, which means that there is little reasonably priced parking for someone who wants to spend a few hours downtown. Forcing parking lot owners to install ticket machines should allow them to switch to hourly parking rates which should in turn be good for dining and retail. With that said, I expect parking lot owners to aggressively fight this ordinance because the ticketing machines will make it much more difficult for owners to misstate the income that is generated by their parking lots.

I got booted a couple of months ago when I went downtown for a bar review class. Sign said $3 a day on the outside. I didn't realize that the other side clarified that it was $5 on nights and weekends. I went there on Friday an paid $3. I went there on Saturday and paid $3. Ended up having to wait for a half hour and then pay a $100 ticket because I paid $2 too little. At least 5 other people in my class got booted in the same lot for the same reason. What a scam.

Archived