Bentwater

MarySB

New to this forum. It looks very interesting. I live in AL, but am considering a move to TX for retirement.

Found a website for Bentwater on the Lake. It looks very interesting. Home prices are very reasonable, but I don't know any other "hidden" expenses we might incur. Anyone know a site I can look up property taxes? Seems like TX in general has high property taxes. I know the HOA dues are $700 :o

Thanks for any info you might have.

Welcome to the message board.

Well, it is a beautiful development about and hour north of Downtown. Taxes may not be that bad. You have to contact the Montgomery County's Tax offices to find out what the taxes may be.

New to this forum. It looks very interesting.  I live in AL, but am considering a move to TX for retirement.

Found a website for Bentwater on the Lake.  It looks very interesting.  Home prices are very reasonable, but I don't know any other "hidden" expenses we might incur.  Anyone know a site I can look up property taxes?  Seems like TX in general has high property taxes.  I know the HOA dues are $700 :o

Thanks for any info you might have.

You are correct. Texas does high property taxes. For a property in Houston City Limits you would be looking at about 3%. IF the home is in a unincorporated area or within a MUD expect to pay between 3.35 - 3.85 %. It makes a huge difference in the amount of house you can pay. There is a 20% deduction for a homestead and if you are over 65 the appraised value of your home is locked in. I hope that helps.

Bentwater is very nice, but don't forget to check out other more affordable options in the area such as Cape Royale, Waterwood and Holiday Shores. Homes on Lake Livingston are still kind of secret and are pretty affordable still. It is truly a beautiful area, and there are plenty of retail places around also. Have fun! :D

Be sure to check out HAR to do your research before you get here.

Yes, Bentwater is on Lake Conroe. The rest I mentioned are on Lake Livingston. I take F.M. 1097 (the Willis exit) to get to both of them. Bentwater is to the left and Livingston is to the right. You take 1097 to 150 and then straight to the lake. Lake Conroe, IMHO, is way overcrowded with boaters and waverunners. It's like a zoo every weekend. Lake Livingston remains peaceful and quiet all the time, IMHO. I think one main reason weekend-boaters stay away is because once you've torn up your prop on all the submerged trees, you tend to avoid it. The "natives" there know where the trees are.

Thanks for the info. It's kind of like Dallas. The lakes near the city or horrible with weekend boaters, but go an hour north to Lake Texoma (i think it's spelled right) and it not too crowded. It too is becoming more popular with weekend boaters.

Thanks for the info.  It's kind of like Dallas.  The lakes near the city or horrible with weekend boaters, but go an hour north to Lake Texoma (i think it's spelled right) and it not too crowded.  It too is becoming more popular with weekend boaters.

Thanks so much for your responses. I will definitely look inot all of your suggestions!

Thanks so much for your responses.  I will definitely look inot all of your suggestions!

I just got back from Bentwater as I was in Lake Conroe area. It is indeed a pretty area. Actually, I would say it is the prettiest area near Houston. Since I recently move from Seattle, I found the area quite similar to the country-side in Washington state. The area is heavily wooded and Bentwater is at the edge of a National Forest so at least we can assume that those trees are going to stay. Also, unlike Houston, the land is not flat. Instead, you would find gently rolling terrain. And, of course, there is a large lake.

Bentwater is right at the shore of the lake so there are many water-front properties. Every home is a custom home which ensures that it isn

Did you ever want to own one of those houses on Lake Washington but couldnt afford one? Well, may be you can on Lake Conroe in Bentwater. When I crossed that bridge to get to Bentwater, I felt I was crossing 520 bridge. Just after you cross the bridge, you would see entrance to Bentwater on your left. I am sure you would like it.

While I believe that waterfront properteis are expensive (I would imagine they start at 500-600K), you could probably build something very close, like a couple of streets away. I saw one lot that was available very close to the lake for 57K.

Keep in mind though that, unlike Lake Washington in Seattle, this is a country side. However, they do have many amenities within Bentwater such as Yatch Club, Country Club, Golf Course, Spa etc. One thing missing is the retail element.

And, oh, in case your expectations get too high, dont expect to find hills or mountains as in Washinton state. Just gently rolling terrain. Its pretty still.

Did you ever want to own one of those houses on Lake Washington but couldnt afford one? Well, may be you can on Lake Conroe in Bentwater. When I crossed that bridge to get to Bentwater, I felt I was crossing 520 bridge. Just after you cross the bridge, you would see entrance to Bentwater on your left. I am sure you would like it.

While I believe that waterfront properteis are expensive (I would imagine they start at 500-600K), you could probably build something very close, like a couple of streets away. I saw one lot that was available very close to the lake for 57K.

Keep in mind though that, unlike Lake Washington in Seattle, this is a country side. However, they do have many amenities within Bentwater such as Yatch Club, Country Club, Golf Course, Spa etc. One thing missing is the retail element.

And, oh, in case your expectations get too high, dont expect to find hills or mountains as in Washinton state. Just gently rolling terrain. Its pretty still.

Thank you so much. We look forward to visiting Bentwater and surrounding area this summer. The only drawback we see is the summer heat.

Thank you so much.  We look forward to visiting Bentwater and surrounding area this summer.  The only drawback we see is the summer heat.

Oh well, that could be a big drawbrack! Heat and humidity can ruin the impression of even the best of places. I am new to Houston myself but from what I have been told, April may be the best time of the year because greenary is back and the weather is generally nice. From Nov to April, weather is fine but Houtson looks less greener. From June to October, greenary is at its peak but so is the heat.

May I ask why did you pick Bentwater as a potential destination after retirement? I am assuming low cost of living is a factor since most people usually head to Florida or California after they retire. Or so is my impression.

New to this forum. It looks very interesting.  I live in AL, but am considering a move to TX for retirement.

Found a website for Bentwater on the Lake.  It looks very interesting.  Home prices are very reasonable, but I don't know any other "hidden" expenses we might incur.  Anyone know a site I can look up property taxes?  Seems like TX in general has high property taxes.  I know the HOA dues are $700 :o

montgomery county appraisal district site

Old people (65 & up I believe) get a pretty good sized exemption on their property taxes, so you may be looking at an effective rate of more like 1-1.5% instead of the 3 something quoted below. Contact MCAD for all the details.

Yes, of course we have high property taxes....its 'cause we have no state income taxes.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, if you want more of a secluded spot with just you, the trees, and the critters, or more of a metropolis on the lake, but if you're looking for the former, you might consider properties further north in deep east Texas, up around Sam Rayburn.....you'll be able to spend less and get more house and land.