ToS Update

editor

We don't have many rules here on HAIF, at least compared to other fora, so it's not surprising that the Terms of Service haven't been updated in about five years. Today I added a couple of small items:

Animations are not permitted in signatures. Animations are permitted in avatars, if they are not too distracting.

Every effort should be taken to keep signatures brief. In the case of a graphic element in a signature, a maximum height of 200 pixels is recommended.

The goal is to keep HAIF from getting visually junked up like so many other places on the internet. Maybe I'm getting old, but I find animations in signatures distracting because they're in the reading path. In Avatars, I think they're OK because those are off to the side. As a reflection of that I have now enabled animated GIFs for avatar use. Please use them responsibly. Avatars that are over the top will be removed.

Also about the signatures -- let's keep them tight. While I encourage everyone to express themselves in this manner, some people's signatures are longer than their posts.

The rules above, like most rules on HAIF, are malleable with community input, so let me know what you think.

So exactly, pixel by pixel, what is the limit for a signature.

I mean, mine is large, but is it distracting?

While yours violates the "letter of the law" it doesn't violate the spirit. And that's what I'm working with here. The intent isn't to legislate a specific pixel limit. After all, someone might come up with something really artsy with transparent pixels. I'm just trying to cut down on sigs that are distracting, or needlessly clutter the page making the HAIF experience less enjoyable for others.

So, don't worry about your Playstation thingy, especially considering that it doesn't move and is squashed to one side of the screen.

Archived