NOLA-Katy

cla

Eh, I sometimes like Popeye's and Frenchy's, does that count?

OMG - I no longer eat Popeye's (after 40 Popeye's is verboten for a woman). But I remember loving the chicken and red beans. Jeez I wish I was still 30 something and could eat anything I wanted :-(.

A co-worker of mine who also moved here after Katrina, recently had a visitor who manages a Copeland's in N.O. and he asked my co-worker if he thought a Copeland's would do well in Katy. I say "yes". I think Copeland's is well known enough to draw a crowd on opening day.

There used to be a Copeland's on Richmond but it only lasted a couple of years.

I grew up in Spring but went to college in Ruston w/ a bunch of NO & BR kids and spent plenty of off time there; for me the best food in town is the original Ragin Cajun and Magnolia Bar & Grill for crawfish.

This thread made me hungry. I soaked beans today and put on a pot tonight. The HEB near me has Camellia brand beans.

Seriously, the best meat market for sausage is Burts in the 5th ward. I think better than the Heberts here. You can get the pickled stuff and the pan sausage, all of it. Very good andouille for the beans (smoked). I have heard of raw sauage in the beans and jambalaya. An uncle of mine is from a town that does that. How does it taste? Different? My aunt won't let him do it when she's around to police the food.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread made me hungry. I soaked beans today and put on a pot tonight. The HEB near me has Camellia brand beans.

Seriously, the best meat market for sausage is Burts in the 5th ward. I think better than the Heberts here. You can get the pickled stuff and the pan sausage, all of it. Very good andouille for the beans (smoked). I have heard of raw sauage in the beans and jambalaya. An uncle of mine is from a town that does that. How does it taste? Different? My aunt won't let him do it when she's around to police the food.

Good call on Burt's. 5910 Lyons between Lockwood and Kress.

Lots more places carrying Camellia and Blue Runner since Katrina.

Hebert's Houston has several locations.

Veron's is another one I like, sometimes available at Spec's downtown.

if you want great gumbo (seafood n reg) the best place I have EVER had it is in the Chronicle building downtown.

they only serve the gumbo on Wednesday afternoons and always a line out the door. I guess most dont know about it but its amazing!

try that and their cornbread and youll be in heaven.

Stopped trying other people's junk years ago.

If I want it I cook it myself

As for pouring pepper on crawfish after they are boiled is just some mess I saw fools doing in Florida about 15 or so years ago. I guess it spread from the north down to the Florida and now made its way over to La. Compensation for not knowing how to boil crawfish perhaps. Actually the guys in Florida were from the Upper East coast and informed me that is how they did all there steamed an boiled seafood (To each his own).

The objective is to be able to taste the crawfish and all the flavors blended (Lemons, onions, garlic, etc) not just heat (Hello Lake Charles). If I want to eat cayenne pepper I will just open a jar and pour it on my fingers then lick them. No need to boil the crawfish.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh just came back from 4 days in New Orleans for business and it was great to get some good food that I didn't have to cook myself.

Sorry Houston thinks it has such good eats places cause they don't hold up to New Orleans or South Louisiana. Man to get a good Shrimp Poboy on real, hot, fresh baked french bread and not some freaking hoagie roll and have it stuffed with huge shrimp or the wonderful Debris poboy I had from Mothers. Not to count the other meals on the trip which were fantastic.

Funny I was talking to some of the locals in one of the resturants and the lady had me cracking up. She told me that people come in looking for and asking for the nearest Chili's or TGF. Its New Orleans and they are looking for this crap. She was all up about it.

Sounds like people from around here may have visited (hehehe) or moved into the area.

Ahhh just came back from 4 days in New Orleans for business and it was great to get some good food that I didn't have to cook myself.

Sorry Houston thinks it has such good eats places cause they don't hold up to New Orleans or South Louisiana. Man to get a good Shrimp Poboy on real, hot, fresh baked french bread and not some freaking hoagie roll and have it stuffed with huge shrimp or the wonderful Debris poboy I had from Mothers. Not to count the other meals on the trip which were fantastic.

Funny I was talking to some of the locals in one of the resturants and the lady had me cracking up. She told me that people come in looking for and asking for the nearest Chili's or TGF. Its New Orleans and they are looking for this crap. She was all up about it.

Sounds like people from around here may have visited (hehehe) or moved into the area.

I haven't been back to N.O. since 2006.

Go even if its just for the weekend.

Flights are cheap and you tastebuds will thank you.

I could honestly say I bet you could eat an exceptional meal every day from a different resturant and not eat the same place and that is not even driving to the surrounding areas that have just as good or better food.

Archived