Airfare tips & tricks

lockmat

I found this website that gives some pretty good tips.

http://www.facebook.com/share_redirect.php...sid=24052588555

Anyone want to share more?

Also, any in particular for flying from here to Boston/Portland, Maine?

You can change to one of those premium economy seats near the front of the plane (not first class) 24 hours before your flight leaves online if there are available. They usually reserve those for full priced ticket payers.

You can change to one of those premium economy seats near the front of the plane (not first class) 24 hours before your flight leaves online if there are available. They usually reserve those for full priced ticket payers.

Well, it depends on the airline. In the case of United, which has Economy Plus, you're not getting one of those seats without paying extra unless you're a United Premier or higher in the Mileage Plus program, or the flight is very full and you don't have a seat assignment yet, and the only empty seats are in Economy Plus (in which case there's an extremely high probability you're going to get a middle seat).

Some airlines, like Northwest, are charging for certain premium economy seats regardless of whether it's less than 24 hours until departure or not. The only way around that one is to have elite status in Northwest World Perks, Continental OnePass, or another SkyTeam frequent flier program.

Midwest Airlines, which has traditionally offered first class-like 2

I didn't look at the link -- it may have this tip:

if you're more concerned about fares than itineraries, use kayak.com for ticket shopping. It will give you results from all the sites.

http://www.kayak.com/

Well the most helpful tip it gave was to fly on Mon-Thurs. I saw a $30 difference when I changed the dates. But that's still not ideal when you're going to visit friends and they've still gotta work. Maybe someone can share a strategy they have to maximize vacay time with finding a cheaper ticket.