Design Standards For Retail Development

suzerain

"You can have a great building built out of concrete block and an awful building built out of limestone,"

Sums up the problem with design standards. To me, design standards are a good thing to dictate how space is used. This addresses issues like size relative to neighbors, building placement relative to the street, amount and location of parking, sidewalks and driveways, etc. Where I have more of a problem with the idea is when specific design elements are dictated. In this proposal, that includes restrictions on facade materials and "garish" signs. The problem is that one they try to address more specific design requirements, it becomes a subjective view of what is attractive. The end result inevitably tends to be lowest common denominator good taste - bland and offensive to no one. Hence the "beige blight". In my home town (Hooterville) they came up with detailed design standards for the Main St. Well-intentioned to make it look quaint and cozy, but requiring tasteful canvas awnings and certain-size window panes really destroyed some nice old art deco buildings, and the end result was just non-descript, since they overlooked the need for design and architectural diversity. The desire to be "tasteful" has over time led to the destruction of a lot of great architecture. Victorian buildings were long considered "tacky" and not worth saving, just as a lot of mid-century commercial architecture ("Googie") was thought of as vulgar and destroyed. Now it's a rarity in most cities. I realize there's a fuzzy line here, but I hope Austin is able to resist the temptation to micro-manage design.

Sums up the problem with design standards.  To me, design standards are a good thing to dictate how space is used.  This addresses issues like size relative to neighbors, building placement relative to the street, amount and location of parking, sidewalks and driveways, etc.  Where I have more of a problem with the idea is when specific design elements are dictated.  In this proposal, that includes restrictions on facade materials and "garish" signs.  The problem is that one they try to address more specific design requirements, it becomes a subjective view of what is attractive.  The end result inevitably tends to be lowest common denominator good taste - bland and offensive to no one.  Hence the "beige blight".  In my home town (Hooterville) they came up with detailed design standards for the Main St.  Well-intentioned to make it look quaint and cozy, but requiring tasteful canvas awnings and certain-size window panes really destroyed some nice old art deco buildings, and the end result was just non-descript, since they overlooked the need for design and architectural diversity.  The desire to be "tasteful" has over time led to the destruction of a lot of great architecture.  Victorian buildings were long considered "tacky" and not worth saving, just as a lot of mid-century commercial architecture ("Googie") was thought of as vulgar and destroyed.  Now it's a rarity in most cities.  I realize there's a fuzzy line here, but I hope Austin is able to resist the temptation to micro-manage design.

I agree. I think it is good news that are trying to make sure that the city does not become big box retailers who have no regard to anything or anyone around them. However, one of the things I like the best about Austin are the random building and eclectic tastes of the different groups there.

This is also the problem that I have with the national chains who come into all towns. They do not consider what works the best with the surrounding neighborhood. I know that the CVS going up at 20th and Yale in the Heights is supposed to fit in with the surrounding neighborhood but somehow I doubt that will occur

Good for them. I envy cities that get what they want done. Here it takes us years to get something like that done, that is if it even happens. Just like those development guidelines, I haven't heard anything new about those.

It's shameful that the city only does good for a short amount of time because we get an event like the superbowl, then after that, it's like they don't care anymore.

Archived