Don Robey's Peacock Record Label

JLWM8609

Not a lot of people know that Peacock was a legendary Houston based record company. It was founded in 1949 by Don Robey, and sold to ABC-Dunhill in 1973. It was located in Fifth Ward, based at 2809 Erastus St. (though I think they moved to a location on Jensen or Lyons in the 60s or 70s) and had an impressive roster of stars including Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton (original recorder of "Hound Dog"), Mighty Clouds of Joy, and the Five Blind Boys of Mississippi. Robey also had a few subsidiary labels to go along with Peacock including the Duke label (founded in 1952 in Memphis TN as a partner of Peacock, Robey gained full control of it in 1953, one of its most popular artists was Johnny Ace), Backbeat (formed in 1957, featured artists like Junior Parker, O.V. Wright, and Bobby "Blue" Bland, and the Songbird label (gospel label formed in late 1963 or 1964, featuring artists such as Inez Andrews, the Williams Brothers, and the Jackson Southernaires) .

Discography and history info found here:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/abc/robey.html

The three Peacock artists that always come to my mind are Big Mama Thornton, Clarence Gatemouth Brown, and Little Richard. I remembered seeing a picture of the old Peacock Records building in a 2003 Austin Chronicle article:

music_string-19611.jpeg

The text that goes with the photo says: Duke-Peacock building (2809 Erastus St.): "That crest sticking up had a neon peacock that was all lit up at night, and that little entryway, that's the original entryway to the club. From everything I can tell, the only thing that's changed about this building is the paint, on the outside at least. [Don Robey] eventually closed the Bronze Peacock and just moved his whole record operation into there. That's where music was recorded that was important in its own right, but later covered by people like Elvis Presley, the Grateful Dead, Three Dog Night, Stevie Ray Vaughan. 'Texas Flood' was first recorded by Fenton Robertson right there. Then if you forget blues and start looking at gospel, this was where the Dixie Hummingbirds were recording even though they lived in Philadelphia. This is where Roy Head cut 'Treat Her Right.' It's amazing."

I think the quote is from the author of the blues history book "Down in Houston", which talks about the Bronze Peacock Dinner Club at 2809 Erastus and calls it "arguably the most sophisticated African American-owned-and-operated nightclub in the South during the 1940's and early 1950's."

I'm glad to see the building is still around. While it is still not operating in its originally designed function, for it to still be standing is a miracle given our tear down mentality. I suppose it's current life as a church serves it well, seeing as Peacock has a legacy of recording some of the most popular gospel artists around such as Rev. Clay Evans, Inez Andrews, The Williams Brothers, the Five Blind Boys of Mississippi, and the Mighty Clouds of Joy, and the amazing thing is these people and groups have outlived Peacock. Every gospel artist and group that I just listed in this particular post still records, tours, and performs today. This building should be on the register of Texas Historic Places, perhaps one of those roadside historical markers shall do too? I'm just dreaming, but a dedication ceremony with those living legends, both blues and gospel in attendance would be outstanding.

The article is a few years old, but I do hope the building is still standing. And given that there's now an historical marker for Zydeco Music in Frenchtown, maybe one for Peacock Records isn't that far-fetched a notion.

I don't know how recent Google Street View is, but it shows it still standing as a church.

Don Deadric Robey (1903-1975) was a really interesting character. He was born, raised and died in Houston and started Peacock Records in 1949 (well before Motown), naming it after his nightclub. He formed Duke Records in 1952 which was the label Johnny Ace, Junior Parker, Roscoe Gordon and Bobby Bland recorded for. He formed Back Beat records in 1957 which was a popular soul label in the 1960s. A Baytown group, The Coastliners (who were all white), signed with Back Beat and opened for the likes of Sonny and Cher, Neil Diamond and a host of other big name sixties acts.

Robey was a badass gangster from Houston's tenderloin. His mother was black and his father was white. He made his money before WWII as a gambler and then bought a taxi cab company that not only prospered but served as a laundry fro his illicit businesses. Roby was a key suspect when Johnny Ace allegedly shot himself on Christmas Eve, 1954 at the City Auditorium (supposedly, Ace was going to move to another label). Robey played rough in business and remained a gambler all his life. I have heard stories about him gambling all night at the gaming joints along LA's famed Central Avenue, losing money, jetting home to fetch more loot in his private plane and jetting back to LA for more. The Bronze Peacock had a back gambling room. I knew an old Houston cop who knew Robey and had lots of stories on him. I also know several members of The Coastliners who have talked to me about Robey as well.

Don Robey's wife currently operates a funeral home in Baytown across from the church I attended as a kid.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Don Robey's Peacock Record Label

Archived