Help From HHA?

SaintCyr

How good is the HHA about helping with health code violations? I mean the city is "looking into it" but to be honest I would have thought something would have happened by now if they were truly interested. I've contacted the HHA about said issue to see if I can get more firepower but have not heard back anything. I would go public with the issue however I do fear retailiation from subject of the issue. Anyone got advice? I'm going to try and make the next HHA meeting however I am uneasy about publicly announcing said problem.

How good is the HHA about helping with health code violations? I mean the city is "looking into it" but to be honest I would have thought something would have happened by now if they were truly interested. I've contacted the HHA about said issue to see if I can get more firepower but have not heard back anything. I would go public with the issue however I do fear retailiation from subject of the issue. Anyone got advice? I'm going to try and make the next HHA meeting however I am uneasy about publicly announcing said problem.

Dont be scared. Say it on here, and I iwll bring it up at the meeting.

Deleted all of this, b/c it was health code. Not deed restrictions.

I'm sorry Marksmu, I didnt get to see what you wrote. Yes, it is a health code issue and not a deed restriction issue, however, I would think that numorous voices saying the same thing to the city would be more powerful than just one.

The issue I have is 1147 Yale. The way his property is kept breeds rodents (although the 30+ cats keep the population down) and mosquitoes at an unprecedented rate. The real problem I have is with mosquitoes, within 10 minutes there are literally hundreds swarming. I have sprayed my yard and do my best to deter breeding. Inside his fence is 4-5 foot tall grass/weeds not to mention the piles of old clothes and garbage that is keeping everything wet and holding water. I have mentioned it to him several times and now he is commited to avoiding and not talking to me what so ever. I'm afraid that the city will say that since it isnt in public view, they cannot do anything which is why I would like to have the extra push from the HHA.

Furthermore, I have no issues with Fred (not sure if that is what he introduced himself as) and think he is a nice guy. He's a wealth of information on diesels and cars, although, a little crazy (completely cutting the orange tree down in his front yard one night at 1 AM). I'm kinda at my end here because I cannot enjoy going outside my house without lathering up in DEET just so I can work in my yard. I cannot let my dog out for more than 10 minutes without him coming in with red welps all over his belly and my girl friend usually gets 3-4 bites on her 25ft walk to her car.

Am I wrong for taking action on this? I know the guy isnt all there and I would help him if he asked for it, however I see no sign of that happening anytime soon. So what are my options?

HCAD says there is a Fred Samson at 1143 Yale but no 1147 Yale. There was a problem with some residents on E 10th street this year with a trailer park breeding rats and other critters. Nothing was done about it until it was leveled by a builder.

I would go to the next HHA meeting and they could point you in the right direction. Im sure he has a few violations on his property. IMO places likes this should meet the bulldozer instantly.

How good is the HHA about helping with health code violations? I mean the city is "looking into it" but to be honest I would have thought something would have happened by now if they were truly interested. I've contacted the HHA about said issue to see if I can get more firepower but have not heard back anything. I would go public with the issue however I do fear retailiation from subject of the issue. Anyone got advice?
why would you fear retaliation? if there are rats coming from a property the healthy dept should respond as it is now a public issue. if not, contact the councilmember's office (garcia) and make sure they are aware of the health issues involved. have them call the health dept.

make sure and be very specific

1) rodents 2) 30+ cats 3) standing water

document when you call for your records.

Edited by musicman

• The title was changed to Help From HHA?