Driving To-From Downtown And Dairy Ashford Rd.

goastros

Is there a way to take the HOV lane all the way from Dairy Ashford. I was looking at houses in the 77077 zip code so we drove out there last night. We rode the HOV lane all the way to Beltway 8 but got off because we weren't sure if there was an exit at Dairy Ashforrd. We got stuck in horrible traffic and ended up exiting at Kirkwood to just get off the freeway.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to make this drive every day. I'll have 2 people total in the car (me and my toddler) so I'm not sure what the requirements are to ride the HOV--if I have to pay a toll or if two people are allowed to ride. We can't take a park n ride because I have to get my toddler to day care right outside downtown.

There are plenty of other ways to get downtown besides I-10. I'm just saying...

Everyone's situation is different, but when I worked downtown (I lived and still live in 77079) I just took Memorial Drive in the mornings. It turns into Prairie and *bam* you're downtown. Sometimes I took Westheimer for a change of scenery. It turns into Elgin and drops you off right outside of downtown. Sometimes I'd just take the I-10 feeder if I was in a hurry, which always moves faster than the actual freeway itself for some reason. Anyway, Memorial is a much more pleasant drive than I-10 and used to cut my drive time significantly. You could also try the Westpark Tollroad and take 59 into downtown, but you need to get on fairly early or it, too, turns into a parking lot.

I don't know how all of this is going to work out when they finally finish the freeway, though. Things might be wonderfully, drastically different. Or not. Just my $0.02.

I'll have 2 people total in the car (me and my toddler) so I'm not sure what the requirements are to ride the HOV--if I have to pay a toll or if two people are allowed to ride. We can't take a park n ride because I have to get my toddler to day care right outside downtown.

when it opens later this yr, 2 people total will be enough with the ez tag. you will have to make sure and notify the hctra that you are a carpool and the ride will be free.

when it opens later this yr, 2 people total will be enough with the ez tag. you will have to make sure and notify the hctra that you are a carpool and the ride will be free.

I wouldnt worry too much about it. I-10 is scheduled to be completed for the most part end of Oct. When I was driving from 610 to Katy a few weeks back during rush hour... right around Hwy 6 when the completed lanes were open all the way out to Katy.... I shot out of the traffic like a sling shot and flew the rest of the way. The completed I-10 is going to make a world of difference imo... and its going to be done soon!

I like the Memorial drive into downtown. No stress and you can get all your errands done on the way or the way back. From what I remember it's about 30 minutes +/- going 35 mph.

I'm almost at Voss and San Felipe every school morning around 7:20. Takes about 10-15 minutes from Kirkwood and Memorial.

Edited by KatieDidIt

Is there a way to take the HOV lane all the way from Dairy Ashford. I was looking at houses in the 77077 zip code so we drove out there last night. We rode the HOV lane all the way to Beltway 8 but got off because we weren't sure if there was an exit at Dairy Ashforrd. We got stuck in horrible traffic and ended up exiting at Kirkwood to just get off the freeway.

You can't get on the HOV lane at Dairy Ashford unless you backtrack to the park and ride just inside of hwy 6.

Thanks! I really didn't want to take Memorial because I need to exit off I-10 to get to my son's daycare. I don't mind driving up to the Beltway in the mornings to get on the HOV lane I was just concerned about getting home at night. If I have to go to Hwy 6 that might not be too bad. I might try a test run tonight at our usual getting off work time.

• The title was changed to Driving To-From Downtown And Dairy Ashford Rd.