How much value does private driveway, rooftop, etc. add?

lcc179

Personal preference? Who would prefer sharing a driveway, facing another townhome across a narrow drive, and owning less land?

You might put up with that if you like the external/internal style of the house better. As I've been looking at townhomes the last year or so, style and layout have been more important to me than parking although that is a concern also. Perhaps priorities would have been a better choice of words.

$500K and two room mates paying rent?

Is this going to be another forclosure when the room mates go beserk?

Nope, I made sure I could afford the mortgage by myself. Roomates just help me live more comfortably. Without them, I would have to go out alot less. And it's closer to 400k...

Exactly...The Caceres have no private driveways and there are townhomes (i.e...more than 1) selling above $800k w/o private driveways, hence there's likely a premium to have a private driveway.

EDIT: BTW some properties at Caceres do have private/unshared driveways (regardless of size..a private driveway is a private driveway..)

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

Check picture #8...Red

Call me crazy, but I don't think 15 feet of concrete in front of a garage justifies a million bucks over 400,000. I rather suspect that there are some other factors involved in the price. A quick look at a few of the highrise properties around town will find some condos with shared parking in a garage with prices that dwarf anything in Rice Military.

That said, I don't doubt that there are some people who value that 15 feet of driveway. But, if they do, I just wonder why they don't put that million bucks to better use buying a REAL driveway in River Oaks, Montrose or the Heights.