Should Stucco damage show up after 3 years?

I am looking very closely at purchasing a townhome in the Rice Military area and just realized all the problems that Stucco is giving current homeowners.

The property I am looking at is in a development called "Michelle's Corner" off of Thompson and Eli. They seem to be pretty high quality homes, but the outside stucco scares me a little bit.

Is stucco synonomous with cement board?

The property was claimed to be built in 2005, I cannot see any evidence of cracking, crumbling, etc. It still looks pretty solid. Would it be safe to say these were one of the "good" stucco installs?

Are there any tests I can perform myself to confirm the quality of this townhouse?

I am looking very closely at purchasing a townhome in the Rice Military area and just realized all the problems that Stucco is giving current homeowners.

The property I am looking at is in a development called "Michelle's Corner" off of Thompson and Eli. They seem to be pretty high quality homes, but the outside stucco scares me a little bit.

Is stucco synonomous with cement board?

The property was claimed to be built in 2005, I cannot see any evidence of cracking, crumbling, etc. It still looks pretty solid. Would it be safe to say these were one of the "good" stucco installs?

Are there any tests I can perform myself to confirm the quality of this townhouse?

No bud, cement board is referencing HardiPlank

The framing usually settles and shift, so it will crack a bit, but the expansion joints were supposed to allow for this movement.

I think it was a bad installation, but not with the quality of the stucco.

The best test to to have an good inspection.

it could show up in three years but not necessarily should. the stucco inspectors usually drill into the wall and then use a moisture meter to determine moisture content. i believe there are noninvasive methods as well but sometimes it results in inaccurate data.

Archived